S’mores Bars are a great way to enjoy s’mores all year round, and you don’t even need to build a fire. This tasty treat is made with a graham cracker cookie dough sandwiched around melty milk chocolate and gooey marshmallow.
The Perfect Trio
- Graham crackers.
- Melty milk chocolate.
- Sticky, gooey, even slightly crisped marshmallow.
Also known as s’mores, are a fun treat associated with Girl Scout campfires. It’s a chocolate bar topped with a roasted marshmallow that is sandwiched between two graham crackers! The name is part of the charm, because after eating one, it won’t be long before you’ll ask for “some more”.
To Make S’Mores Bars
Kids can have almost as much fun making s’mores bars in the kitchen as they do eating them! Like millionaire’s shortbread bars, these slightly messy, multi-layered dessert bars are always a favorite.
- Dough: In separate bowls, combine the wet and dry ingredients, then gradually mix together.
- Layer: Press 2/3 of dough in bottom of pan, layer marshmallow fluff and chocolate bars on top. Then drop and spread the remaining dough on top.
- Bake: Sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake until ooey gooey and the cookie layer is fully cooked.
Allow the s’mores bar to cool before cutting and serving.
Tip: When making the top cookie layer, don’t try to cover the entire pan. The chocolate and marshmallow will ooze through the gaps, becoming slightly crisp, like the charred outside of a campfire-roasted marshmallow!
Can You Make These in Advance?
You can absolutely make s’mores bars in advance! They are a welcome addition to any picnic or potluck. Just cool the pan completely, cut and store in the refrigerator to allow them to firm up.
How to Store S’mores Bars
Make an extra pan to keep s’more bars around whenever you need a quick and convenient dessert or after school snack.
- Refrigerate: Cool completely and place in freezer bags or air tight containers and store in the fridge for up to a week.
- Freeze: Place in freezer bags or air tight containers in the freezer for up to four months.
- Thaw: leave out on the counter until room temperature, then serve.
S’more Recipes You’ll Love
- Grilled S’Mores Sandwich – dessert version of grilled cheese!
- S’mores Pie – delicious no bake option
- No Bake White Chocolate S’Mores Bars – ready in 10 minutes!
- S’mores Dip – only 4 ingredients!
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar tightly packed
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour + 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 3 milk chocolate bars broken into quarters
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease and flour a 9×9″ pan (or line with parchment paper). Set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugars until well combined. Stir in egg and vanilla extract until completely combined.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet until completely combined
- Press approximately ⅔ of the graham cracker cookie dough evenly into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Spread marshmallow fluff evenly over the top of the cookie dough crust. Space milk chocolate bar quarters evenly over marshmallow fluff and press gently into the surface.
- Drop remaining cookie dough over the surface of the s’mores bars. Use your fingers to gently spread dough over the surface, you will not be able to cover the entire surface area, this is OK.
- Sprinkle with milk chocolate chips.
- Bake on 350°F for 27-30 minutes or until cookie layer is fully cooked and marshmallow and chocolate melted. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.