Grilled scallops have a buttery taste and they take just minutes to make at home. Simply toss scallops with a bit of olive oil, garlic and lemon & grill.
Scallops seem fancy but are honestly easy to make!
What Are Scallops?
Scallops are mollusks that come in large and petite sizes.
- Smaller scallops are called bay scallops and are great in seafood chowder, cooked in sauce, or added to pasta dishes.
- Larger scallops are called sea scallops and are often served wrapped in bacon, cooked in foil, or threaded onto skewers and grilled, kebab style!
Like shrimp scampi, these scallops have a very basic preparation. A bit of lemon, some garlic, and olive oil.
Use larger sea scallops in this recipe.
Olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper are used to flavor these scallops! I’ve included a few of our favorite variations in the recipe below as well.
How to Make Grilled Scallops
Just see how easy it is to make grilled scallops!
- Pat scallops dry and toss with the marinade.
- Grill scallops on a greased grate over medium heat.
- Remove from grill and season.
Grilling Tip If your scallops are on the smaller side, thread them on a skewer to keep them from slipping into the grates. If using wood skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes first so they don’t burn on the grill.
A simple pasta dish with a fresh light sauce or pesto is great too.
Tips for Perfect Scallops
- Thaw frozen scallops in the refrigerator and drain any liquid. Dab them dry before marinating.
- Choose uniformly shaped scallops so they cook at the same rate.
- Do not overcook. Scallops should be opaque, firm, and lightly browned on the edges.
Once cooked, scallops will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days. The best way to reheat them is to heat a little olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat so they reheat slowly.
Quick & Easy Seafood
- Garlic Butter Shrimp – ready in 15 minutes
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Scallops
- Coconut Shrimp Curry – so flavorful
- Garlic Grilled Shrimp
- Creamy Seafood Chowder – rich & creamy
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Did you make these Grilled Scallops? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Quick and Easy Grilled Scallops
- 1 pound sea scallops thawed if frozen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- optional additions below
- salt & pepper to taste
- additional lemon and parsley for garnish optional
- Dab scallops dry with a paper towel.
- Combine olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice (and any additions below if using). Toss with scallops and let rest a few minutes while grill preheats.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Once the grill is heated, oil the grates by adding oil to a paper towel and using tongs to rub the oil on the grates.
- Remove scallops from the marinade (discard marinade) and season scallops with salt & pepper. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side or just until opaque.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest (for a stronger lemon flavor)
- 1 teaspoon each fresh chopped basil and parsley
- replace lemon juice with lime juice and add 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!