Air fryer bacon-wrapped scallops are the elegantly easy appetizer recipe you’ve been looking for!
Not only are air fryer scallops easy to prepare, but they are also the perfect blend of sweet and salty. Serve with a side of cocktail sauce or your favorite dip.
Easy Appetizer Recipe
All the fanciness of an appetizer you’d see at a fine dining restaurant made right at home in your air fryer.
An air fryer is my favorite kitchen appliance because it cooks food without added fat and is quick and easy to use (I’m obsessed with mine, I have this one here)!
These Air Fryer Scallops are wrapped in bacon, and who doesn’t love bacon? Why not serve a skewer or two of bacon wrapped scallops on a bed of mixed greens for a special occasion salad?
Choose large sea scallops over bay scallops because bay scallops are too small and soft to be wrapped in bacon and threaded on a skewer. Save those bay scallops for creamy seafood chowder!
Slices of bacon are used slightly cooked in the air fryer before wrapping the scallops, this allows it to crisp up without overcooking the scallops. You can use precooked bacon from the store but it doesn’t have the same flavor.
A little brush of real maple syrup adds a touch of sweetness and helps the scallops to caramelize. If you don’t have maple syrup, a pinch of brown sugar will do the trick.
How to Cook Scallops in Air Fryer
The air fryer makes cooking scallops so easy!
- Cook bacon in the air fryer until soft, not crispy. Set bacon aside & wipe out air fryer.
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel & season (per recipe below).
- Wrap bacon slice around each scallop & thread onto a skewer to secure them. Brush with maple syrup,
- Set scallops in air fryer & cook until bacon is crisp & scallops are cooked.
Helpful Tips & Tricks
- Choose scallops that are evenly sized, firm, and fresh-smelling. If using frozen scallops, ensure they’re completely defrosted before cooking.
- Some scallops will need a full piece of bacon, some might only need 1/2 a piece depending on the size of the scallops. Be sure you have a little extra on hand just in case.
- These can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before cooking. If making ahead, cool the partially cooked bacon completely before wrapping the scallops.
Try These Amazing Appetizers!
- Pretzel Bites – perfect for game day
- Garlic Butter Shrimp – ready in 15 minutes
- Pizza Rolls – easy to make
- Taco Ring – great for parties
- Jalapeno Poppers – with cream cheese filling
- Grilled Scallops – quick & easy
Did you love these Air Fryer Scallops? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Scallops
- 8 slices bacon or as needed, *see note
- 8 large sea scallops not bay scallops
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon old bay seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Place bacon in the air fryer at 350°F for 3-4 minutes or until just slightly cooked and some of the fat has rendered out. Bacon should not be crisp.
- Remove bacon from the air fryer and wipe out any grease in the bottom.
- Dab scallops dry with paper towels and season with olive oil, old bay seasoning and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cut bacon in half (unless your scallops are really large) and wrap each half around one of the scallops. Seal with a toothpick or thread onto short skewers.
- Brush scallops with maple syrup.
- Place scallops into an air fryer at 350°F for 11-13 minutes. Cook just until bacon is crisp and scallop is cooked. Do not overcook.