Pumpkin Soup is one of the best fall soups you’ll ever taste. A creamy base is loaded with bacon, pumpkin, spices, and pureed until smooth. This easy squash soup is the perfect fall recipe!
Serve it along with some fresh dinner rolls to sop up every drop left in the bowl!
A Fall Favorite
Fall is filled with all things pumpkin for us.
This pumpkin soup recipe is the perfect balance between comfort and festivity! The combo of homemade pumpkin puree and bacon adds a delicious savory kick to slightly sweet soup. It’s PERFECTION.
This recipe is versatile, add in some chili flakes to create a spicy pumpkin soup, or even substitute cream for coconut milk. Endless possibilities.
How To Make Pumpkin Soup
Smoky and salty, bacon is great served with the sweetness of pumpkin to create perfectly balanced flavor! Make sure the bacon is crispy enough that you can crumble it, and reserve the fat to cook the onions in.
- Fry bacon and set aside. Cook onions in bacon fat.
- Add broth & seasonings and simmer to blend flavores.
- Add in pumpkin and cream and simmer.
- Remove bay leaf and puree until smooth with a hand blender.
If you don’t have a hand blender, puree in a regular blender. Be sure not to seal the blender tightly as the steam needs to escape. Pulse a few times to smooth out the soup before returning it to the pot.
If you use milk a hot soup can potentially cause it to curdle. Heavy cream is the easiest dairy to use in pumpkin soup because the high-fat content keeps it from separating as easily!
Serving this colorful pumpkin soup recipe is as easy as pouring it into bowls and getting creative with the garnish. Stir in a splash of cream to create a beautiful ripple effect, add some crumbled bacon, parsley, and croutons for a nice crunch!
What To Have With Pumpkin Soup
Because this soup is rich, I usually just serve it with bread or Easy Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits, a quick salad works well too.
More Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Cupcakes – So fluffy and moist!
- Pumpkin Dump Cake (3 Ingredient) – Quick prep!
- Pumpkin Blondies
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls – Perfect weekend breakfast!
- Easy as Pie Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies – Lunchbox favorite!
Did your family love this Pumpkin Soup recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons butter optional
- 1 medium onion diced fine
- ½ cup carrot shredded
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- ½ cup heavy cream plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped and divided
- ½ cup croutons optional garnish
- In a skillet, cook bacon until slightly crisp. Remove bacon from skillet but keep the grease. Depending on how much fat renders from the bacon, you may need to add a bit of butter to make 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Add onion to skillet and cook to soften. Once opaque, stir in carrot and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes, then stir in the brown sugar.
- Add the chicken broth, bay leaf, thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and cream and heat through. Discard bay leaf and using a hand blender, puree until smooth.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley and pour into soup bowls. Garnish with cream, croutons and crumbled bacon and remaining parsley.