Biscuit Mix in a jar is a homemade staple that is so simple to make!
Made with 5 simple ingredients, this all-purpose baking mix recipe is great to have on hand. It’s economical and so easy to make!
Why We Love this Recipe
Homemade Biscuit Mix (often sold as Bisquick) only uses 5 simple ingredients that are probably already in your pantry. And it only takes 10 minutes from start to finish.
While it’s preservative-free, this will still last in the fridge or freezer for up to 3 months.
Homemade Bisquick uses simple, staple ingredients.
DRY INGREDIENTS Flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt are all added to this recipe.
SHORTENING Adding shortening helps to give the biscuits a crumbly delicate texture. You can also substitute butter or margarine (in the same amount) for similar results.
How to Make Biscuit Mix
- Using a food processor or whisk, blend all ingredients together.
- Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 months.
- Use to prepare biscuits, dough, or toppings! (recipe ideas below)
Since this bisquick recipe doesn’t have any chemicals or preservatives, it should be stored in the refrigerator to keep the shortening from spoiling.
Way to Use Biscuit Mix
To Make Biscuits
- Combine 3 cups of biscuit mix with 1 cup of milk or buttermilk.
- Roll out dough (or make “drop” biscuits by making golf-ball sized portions).
- Bake at 425°F for 8-10 minutes or until golden and crumbly.
Tip: Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese for those fancy Cheddar-Bay restaurant-style biscuits.
To Make Dumplings
- Combine 2 cups of baking mix with 2/3 cup of milk.
- Drop spoonfuls into hot stew and simmer 10 minutes.
- Cover the pot and cook another 10 minutes.
To Make Shortcakes
- Combine 2 1/3 cups mix, 1/2 cup of milk, and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Form into patties and bake at 425°F for about 12 minutes. Cool and split in half.
These shortcakes are perfect for strawberry shortcake.
To Make Funnel Cakes
Follow this classic funnel cake recipe or try this easy biscuit mix version!
- Combine 1 1/2 cups mix, 1/2 cup of water and two tablespoons of sugar.
- Pour batter into a glass measuring cup with a spout and pour ribbons into the hot oil.
- Fry until browned, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Or try mixing powdered sugar with this delicious pumpkin pie spice mix. Yum!
Homemade Bread and Rolls
- Homemade French Bread – perfect with soup
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls – quick & easy
- Crescent Rolls – only 4 ingredients
- Quick Garlic Parmesan Crescent Rolls – 15 minute cook time
- Homemade Cornbread Recipe – great for chili or any pork dish
Did you make this Biscuit Mix? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Homemade Biscuit Mix
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until well mixed, about 5 times.
- Store mixture in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 3 months.
- Use in recipes calling for biscuit mix or bake biscuits.
Combine 3 cups biscuit mix with 1 cup milk or buttermilk. Roll out dough 1/2" thick and cut into circles.
Place on an ungreased tray and bake at 425°F for 8-10 minutes. If you don't have shortening, use butter or margarine instead. (Use the same amount of butter or margarine as shortening) Store in the fridge or freezer for up to 3 months