Harvest farro salad is colorful and full of flavor. This beautiful salad can be served warm or chilled and can be a side or a meal.
It’s loaded with healthy winter veggies (like roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprouts), some farro (of course), and a punch of flavor from feta and pomegranate!
So what the heck is farro anyhow? It is a whole grain that is shaped like barley and has a chewy, slightly nutty taste. It’s considered an “ancient grain”.
Where to Buy Farro
To find farro in the grocery store, look where the rice or grains are. If you don’t find it there, check the health food or organic foods area (or try one of the substitutions below).
You can also buy farro on Amazon or other online stores.
VEGGIES We added roasted veggies like butternut squash, brussels sprouts, and red onions. And don’t forget the arugula for its unique peppery taste that gives hearty salads like this one some kick! If you happen to have leftover roasted veggies or sweet potatoes, use those instead.
DRESSING I use a super easy homemade dressing but you can use your fave vinaigrette. Balsamic is a great choice!
- Feta cheese gives the salad a bright, tangy flavor. Soft goat cheese would taste great in a salad like this, as well.
- Pecans and pomegranate arils are added for a shot of color & crunch.
Feel free to switch out the pomegranate arils for cranberries, or the arugula for kale. Try adding carrots, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, beets, or even roasted asparagus spears. Green peas, corn, and artichoke hearts are all nice additions, too!
How to Make Harvest Farro Salad
- Roast veggies per recipe below.
- Meanwhile, simmer farro.
- Combine dressing ingredients and shake until combined.
- Toss it all together with the dressing.
Make It a Meal
Farro salad is jam packed with flavor and nutrients and can easily be served as a meatless meal. If you’re looking to add protein, leftover turkey or shredded chicken are great options.
Fresh & Flavorful Salads
- Classic Wedge Salad – an easy side dish
- Winter Salad – with Maple Dijon Vinaigrette
- Mediterranean Farro Salad – so colorful
- Caesar Salad – made from scratch
- Spinach Salad – with warm bacon dressing
- Easy Arugula Salad – light & refreshing
- Barley Salad – fresh & colorful
Did your family love this Harvest Farro Salad? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Harvest Farro Salad
- ¾ cup farro uncooked
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ⅓ cup pecans toasted
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 ½ cups arugula packed
- ½ cup balsamic dressing or homemade dressing below
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups butternut squash ½" diced
- 1 ½ cups Brussels sprouts washed and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss onion, butternut squash, and brussels sprouts with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. Place on a baking sheet and roast 15 minutes. Stir and roast an additional 10-15 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- While vegetables are roasting, place farro in a pot with 3 cups of salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until farro is tender about 14-16 minutes. Drain well, rinse under cool water and cool slightly.
- If using homemade dressing below, combine all dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake well.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled farro, butternut squash mixture, pomegranate, half of the pecans, and half of the feta cheese. Toss with ⅓ cup of dressing. Stir in arugula.
- Top with remaining pecans and feta before serving.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)