We love hearty, fresh, grain-based salads, and this barley salad is no exception!
This superfood grain is crunchy, colorful, and nutritious and jam-packed with fresh vegetables and a zesty dressing!
Barley is easy to find, affordable, and has a mild nutty flavor. It goes great with all kinds of ingredients and can be served hot or cold.
VEGGIES This barley salad is a play on our favorite Greek salad recipe with, juicy tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and sweet red onions.
OLIVES We add tangy kalamata olives for a punch of flavor, but sub out black olives if you prefer.
CHEESE Feta cheese adds a nice salty flavor in this recipe.
One batch of this Mediterranean-style barley salad can last a whole week! Don’t be afraid to mix and match ingredients in your fridge.
Olive oil, vinegar, and lemon are perfect on this salad or toss it with a simple Greek salad dressing. It’s great with almost any vinaigrette.
How to Make Barley Salad?
Healthy, delicious barley salad is super easy to make!
- Cook barley in salted water according to the recipe below.
- Chop vegetables.
- Drain and cool barley completely. PRO TIP: To quickly cool barley, spread it out on a sheet pan, and place it in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Place chopped vegetables in a large bowl, add barley and dressing.
- Garnish with feta cheese and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Storage Tips for Barley
- Store uncooked barley in a sealed bag or container and keep it in a cool, dry place like a pantry.
- To store barley salad, keep the salad in a container with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator and it should last up to 7 days.
- Vegetable Barley Soup – slow cooker version
- Harvest Farro Salad
- Beef Barley Soup – 5 star recipe
- Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Mushroom Barley Risotto – easy & savory
- Homemade Lentil Soup
- Chicken Barley Soup – healthy and hearty
Did you make this Barley Salad? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 bell pepper diced, any color
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives or black olives
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 1 cup Greek salad dressing or Italian dressing
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Bring salted water to a boil. Add barley, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook 25 minutes or until barley is tender. Drain any liquid and cool completely.
- While barley is cooking, chop vegetables and place in a large bowl.
- Add cooled barley and dressing. Toss well to combine.
- Garnish with feta cheese and parsley. Chill 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!