Spinach Salad is an easy meal absolutely full of flavor! Fresh spinach leaves are tossed with crisp bacon, fresh mushrooms, parmesan cheese and toasted almonds to create this delicious salad. To finish it off it is topped with a tangy warm bacon dressing!
Serve this simple salad as is or top with sliced Chicken Breasts for the perfect meal.
Whether you are looking for a lighter meal or simply want a break from the same old salad routine, this spinach salad with bacon recipe does the trick! It’s easy to put together, with so many endless variations! We’ve kept this salad recipe basic enough to master, but with endless opportunity to make it your own!
What to Put in a Spinach Salad
Aside from the spinach, lots of spinach salad recipes can have sliced, hard-boiled eggs, any kind of cheese, or even sliced or dried berries like cranberries or strawberries. Even thinly sliced pears would work in this recipe.
The real star here is the warm spinach salad dressing! It is the key to balancing the salty flavor of the bacon with the tender taste of spinach and the crunch of the almonds. Add the rest of the ingredients and you’re ready to serve!
How to Make Spinach Salad
Making a spinach salad starts with a base of crisp, freshly washed spinach! From there add in the toppings and cover with the perfectly balanced dressing!
- Cook the bacon pieces until they’re crisp. Remove the bacon and continue to cook the drippings on low.
- Add the minced shallot (or diced red onion, if you prefer) and cook until tender. Toss in the sliced garlic clove and cook another minute.
- Combine with the remaining dressing ingredients and simmer one minute. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until everything is incorporated and smooth.
Now pour the dressing over the spinach leaves and toss gently, making sure each leaf is lightly coated. Top with the sliced mushrooms, onion, toasted almonds and fresh parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
To toast almonds: Saute in a pan over medium heat until they just start to get fragrant then cool on a paper towel. Toasting nuts burns off the oil and keeps them crunchy. Be sure they are completely cooled before adding to your recipe!
What to Eat with Spinach Salad
A nice crusty loaf of garlic bread and a glass of crisp white wine are all you need to round out this elegant salad. But a small grilled chicken breast or baked portion of fish helps make this a heartier entrée!
More Spinach Recipes
- Fruit & Nut Spinach Salad Recipe – made with 4 different juicy berries!
- Creamed Spinach – steamed spinach covered in a creamy sauce.
- Spinach Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing – Classic spinach salad.
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast – wrapped in smoky bacon.
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – ready in 10 minutes!
- 2 bunches fresh spinach washed
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 small red onion sliced
- 1/2 cup almonds toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese shredded, optional
- drippings from bacon
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot or onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Wash and dry spinach. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside reserving drippings.
- Turn bacon drippings down to low and add shallot. Cook 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and sugar. Simmer 1 minute. Whisk in olive oil until the dressing is smooth.
- Pour warm dressing over spinach and toss. Top with remaining ingredients and serve immediately.