Looking for a delicious side dish that’s perfect with almost any meal? Creamy roasted garlic mashed potatoes are the perfect choice!
This side dish needs just a handful of ingredients, including potatoes and lots of garlic. It’s all mashed together with butter and cream for
With just a few simple steps, you can make the creamiest, yummiest garlic mashed potatoes ever. Get ready to meet your new favorite side!
Ingredients for Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Potatoes: Use Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes for the best taste. Leave the skin on some of the potatoes for a more rustic dish.
- Dairy: Heavy cream and butter are the secret ingredients for the creamiest mashed potatoes. You can also add sour cream or softened cream cheese for extra creaminess.
- Roasted Garlic: Roasted garlic is the perfect addition to this recipe. It has a sweet, mild flavor that pairs well with potatoes.
How to Make Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Roast the garlic per the recipe below (or slice the garlic if boiling with the potatoes).
- Boil prepared potatoes in cold water until they are fork-tender. Drain well.
- Return potatoes to the pot and mash them with warmed cream, melted butter, and roasted garlic. Season with salt & pepper and serve.
Leftover Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Reheat them in the microwave or on the stove. They’re also great to top a shepherd’s pie or to use as a topping to a turkey pot pie.
You can freeze mashed potatoes for up to a year. They retain their quality as long as they have lots of nice fat in them (butter and cream).
To Freeze leftovers, place them in freezer bags, squeeze out the air, and store them flat. No need to thaw them first to reheat them. Use the microwave on a medium setting or heat up in the oven.
Perfect Potato Side Dishes
Did you enjoy these Garlic Mashed Potatoes? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds potatoes russet or Yukon gold
- 1 cup heavy cream more as needed
- ⅓ cup salted butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- chives and/or parsley for garnish optional
Roasted Garlic (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Slice off the top of the garlic head and drizzle with olive oil.
- Wrap the garlic head in foil and roast in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the garlic cloves are golden brown and very soft. Remove the golden cloves from the skin.
- Peel and cube the potatoes, then place them in a large pot of cold salted water. If you're not using roasted garlic, add 10-12 cloves of raw sliced garlic to the water.
- Boil the potatoes and garlic, uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until they are fork-tender. Drain well.
- Heat the cream and butter until the butter is melted and the mixture is warm.
- Mash the potatoes and roasted garlic using a potato masher until smooth.
- Add the cream mixture a little bit at a time while mashing to reach the desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I’ve made somewhat similar but this way. This a new one for me try and I’m going to make this!
Thank you very much
I can’t wait for you to try them Elizabeth! Enjoy!
OH MY!! I will never make mashed potatoes again without this recipe. The roasted garlic absolutely makes this recipe. I followed it EXACTLY and these are the BEST mashed potatoes EVER!!!
Yay! That is great, Kathy. So happy you enjoyed this recipe too!
this recipe looks awesome – just like the rest of the recipes. thank you!