Hamburger Steaks are an easy comfort food! Tender beef patties are simmered in a flavorful onion gravy and served over mashed potatoes or rice!
Add a fresh side salad and some green peas or broccoli to make a complete meal!
What is Hamburger Steak?
Very similar to Salisbury Steak, hamburger steak is a savory blend of ground beef, seasonings, and onions cooked in a rich brown gravy.
We love homemade beef patties but you can use pre-made burger patties instead if you prefer.
How to Make Hamburger Steak
- Prepare beef patties (you can use frozen in a pinch) and brown the outsides.
- Soften onions and mushrooms in butter.
- Whisk in flour and beef broth and simmer the patties in the gravy until tender and cooked through.
Once simmered, serve hamburger steaks and gravy over one of the following:
Fried hamburger steaks make great leftovers! Perfect for a workday lunch on a cold day! For next-day eating, keep leftover hamburger steaks and gravy in a sealable container and the mashed potatoes in a separate one.
Reheat in the microwave, stirring after two minutes. Or place in a skillet and reheat on low.
Easy Ground Beef Favorites
- Instant Pot Salisbury Steak – so fast
- Easy Hamburger Soup – weeknight favorite
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos– quick from scratch recipe
- American Goulash Recipe – childhood favorite
- Ground Beef Stroganoff (Hamburger)– budget friendly
- Chili Mac Skillet – one pan meal
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour all- purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups beef broth not low sodium
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Cut 1/4 of the onion into a fine dice. Slice the remaining 3/4 into 1/4" slices.
- Combine all patty ingredients along with diced onion, salt and pepper to taste. Form into 6 patties (or 4 larger patties).
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a medium pan over medium heat. Brown patties 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add butter, sliced onions, garlic and mushrooms to the pan. Mix well and cook 5-6 minutes or until onions start to soften.
- Add flour and thyme. Gradually stir in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer over low heat stirring occasionally until the gravy thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef patties, cover, and simmer an additional 12-14 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.