This easy Ground Beef Stroganoff features lean hamburger and tender mushrooms cooked in a rich silky sauce. Just like our favorite Chicken Stroganoff, this dish is served over tender egg noodles.
This simple stovetop beef stroganoff recipe is quick and delicious making it the perfect weeknight meal!
Loads of tender mushrooms add tons of flavor, while I most often use white mushrooms, portebello or cremini are a great addition as well.
A Quick Comfort Meal
Ground beef stroganoff is one of those comforting meals that is quick and easy to make, plus it can feed your whole family with a short list of ingredients! How about a hearty meal of beef stroganoff in less than 25 minutes? Count me in, this is perfect for a busy weeknight!
This easy Ground beef stroganoff recipe is made from scratch with fresh ingredients (and without cream of mushroom soup). I love dishes that come together so quickly (like Cabbage and Noodles or 20 Minute Fajitas) and even more so when everyone at the table wants seconds!
How to Make Ground Beef Stroganoff
You truly will not believe how crazy easy this is! You’re literally just minutes away from getting this beef stroganoff on the table!
- Brown beef, onions and garlic.
- Add mushrooms, sauce & seasonings. Simmer a few minutes.
- Start your egg noodles cooking!
- Stir in sour cream and serve over egg noodles.
This recipe can be slightly tweaked based on the ingredients you have on hand. I find ground beef gives the best flavor but you can certainly substitute another type of ground meat such as ground turkey or pork. If using something other than beef, you’ll likely want to add some extra beef bouillon for a richer flavor! I highly suggest using the condensed beef broth in a can (instead of the box) for the best flavor!
Of course fresh mushrooms are best and while this recipe calls for white mushrooms, I’ve used a combination of white, cremini or portobello all with great results. In a pinch, you can use canned mushrooms as well.
Keep in mind that sour cream may curdle if it boils so the sauce is thickened and removed from the heat before it is added. If you don’t have sour cream on hand, Greek yogurt is a good substitute (or if you just prefer it).
We typically serve this over egg noodles but it’s great over rice, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes or even spooned into a roll sloppy joe style! Add a side salad and a loaf of crusty bread (to sop up any sauce left on your plate) for a great meal in under 30 minutes!
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 lb fresh mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic (trying not to break it up too much) in a pan until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 more minute.
- Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low 10 minutes. Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Remove beef mixture from the heat, stir in sour cream and parsley.
- Serve over egg noodles.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)