Green bean salad is a fresh, crunchy, bright, and delicious salad full of tomatoes, almonds, and green beans tossed in a quick fresh vinaigrette.
Green Bean Salad Ingredients
Adjust the vinaigrette or the seasonings and make it as tangy as you like! Even on top of a bed of greens, it can be a meal all on its own!
- Green Beans – fresh is best. Rinse and trim.
- Tomatoes – cherry or grape tomatoes hold their shape and have a bright flavor.
- Chopped Almonds – toast them first for the best flavor.
- Onion – diced red onion adds great flavor
- Feta – adds a creamy salty flavor.
- Dressing – a simple 4 ingredient vinaigrette takes just seconds to make
This salad is simple and delicious but feel free to change it up with your own additions or alternatives:
- slivered red onion
- quinoa or grains
- pine nuts, pecans, or walnuts
- toasted bread crumbs
- fresh herbs
How to Prepare Green Beans for Salad
Rinse the beans and then trim off the ends. If they’re long, cut them in half (the salad is easier to eat this way).
The green beans in this recipe are blanched with means boiled a short time and then placed in ice water to stop them from cooking. This keeps them fresh and crisp.
GREEN BEAN TIP
This is a quick tip I learned at our culinary school to keep green beans bright in color.
Add a small pinch of baking soda to the water when boiling green beans (or any other green veggie like asparagus). This won’t change the flavor but will keep the beans a vibrant green (rather than a dull color) for a beautiful dish!
We like to serve this green bean salad next to grilled meats for a fresh summer meal.
- Easy Grilled Chicken Breast
- Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Lamb Chops
- Garlic Grilled Shrimp
- Balsamic Marinated Flank Steak
More Fresh Veggie Sides
- Fresh Corn Salad
- Cucumber Onion Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Tomato Avocado Salad
- Greek Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
Fresh Green Bean Salad
- 1 pound green beans trimmed
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup red onion sliced
- ¼ cup feta
- ¼ cup toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- Bring water and baking soda to a rolling boil. Cook green beans 4- 5 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain beans and place in an ice bath.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Add green beans, tomatoes, and red onion and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Top with feta and almonds just before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Recipe inspired by Jamie Dean.