Cucumber Onion Salad makes for a welcome change of pace from the classic iceberg lettuce tossed salad. At your next barbecue, your guests will love this crunchy salad with some delicious grilled chicken breasts and a side of Homemade Garlic Bread!
Crisp fresh cucumbers are tossed with sweet onion and fresh dill for an easy summer favorite that is light and refreshing.
Easy Cucumber Onion Salad Salad
For as long as I can remember, we’ve served creamy cucumber salad at gatherings and get togethers. As much as I love the creamy version, we do love the sweet tart vinaigrette style dressing on this recipe! You can make it in no time flat from just a few simple ingredients, including sliced English cucumber, sweet onion, vinegar, fresh dill and seasonings.
Ingredients for Cucumber Onion Salad
Any cukes will do the trick, but for best results, use English cucumbers ( also known as seedless, or European cucumbers). These are longer and thinner than salad or pickling cucumbers, and often come tightly wrapped in plastic. English cucumbers also have thinner skins and a sweeter taste then salad cucumbers, and the seeds are smaller.
If you are using regular salad cucumbers, you will want to remove all or most of the peel and seeds, as these tend to be bitter and a bit tough. Many people also dislike the wax coating that is used on grocery store cucumbers to keep the product fresh longer. You’ll want to peel to remove this coating, or you can try soaking the cucumber in vinegar for several minutes and wiping the surface clean.
- Rice vinegar is a good choice, it’s a little sweeter and less tangy than white or cider vinegar, and won’t discolor the cucumber or onion.
- Cider vinegar is a great option and adds a bit extra flavor and tang.
- White Balsamic is also a way to boost the complexity of the flavors. It pairs well with tomatoes so feel free to toss a few in before serving and make it into a cucumber tomato salad.
Cucumber Onion Salad pairs nicely with spicy meats, such as marinated chicken or lamb skewers or even Chicken Curry.
To Make Cucumber Onion Salad
Cucumber salad comes together so easily. All you need is your salad bowl and a cutting board.
- Prep: Slice or chunk the cucumber and thinly slice the sweet onion.
- Dress: Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Marinate: Add the sliced or chunked cucumber and sliced sweet onion and toss to coat. Marinate for a few hours before serving.
Once prepped cover and refrigerate for an hour or more. This salad is best served well chilled!
Cucumber salad can be made in advance and will keep well for a couple of days. They’re great as a topper for burgers or side dish for chicken pot pie. The next time you need a simple, palate-cleansing side dish, cucumber dill salad is an easy option.
More Cucumber Favorites
- Creamy Cucumber Salad – Creamy classic.
- Cucumber Sandwiches – Perfect lunch recipe!
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad – Summertime favorite!
- Cucumber Bruschetta – Fresh twist on the usual.
- Greek Tzatziki – Yogurt Cucumber Dip perfect for snacking or drizzling over Grilled Chicken
- Cucumber Dill Salad – with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Creamy Cucumber Pasta Salad – A hearty and delicious side or main!
Cucumber Onion Salad
- 2 long english cucumbers
- ½ sweet white onion
- ⅓ cup white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash cucumbers and peel if desired. Thinly slice cucumbers and onions.
- Mix vinegar, vegetable oil, water and sugar. Combine mixture with cucumbers and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours. (Stir or toss a few times while marinating).
- Place in a bowl and toss with dill, salt and pepper to taste.