Ribs in the oven are easy to make and come out perfectly tender every single time.
These barbecue ribs have been dubbed the “best ribs ever” by my friends and family every time I make them. Follow the steps below to become a rib master all year round!
Easy Oven BBQ Ribs
Perfectly tender finger-lickin’ ribs are actually pretty easy to make! You can whip up a batch of these delicious barbecue ribs, no matter the weather because no barbecue is actually required!
This recipe has been perfected over the years from my Mom (who is literally the best cook on the entire planet!).
I start by cooking seasoned baby back ribs in the oven at a low temperature and then flash grill them! We make them two ways, I love mine all sticky with barbecue sauce… and my husband likes his with salt and pepper! You can do both ways at the same time!
Before grilling, we always cook our ribs slowly to make them tender… often people BOIL their ribs. Boiling ribs will make all their succulent flavor seep out into the water making them flavorless! Try this method below and you will NEVER go back to boiled ribs again!
Finger Lickin’ Ingredients
RIBS Baby Back (or Pork Back Ribs) are the best choice, they cook to tender perfection. Although the cost is slightly more, this is one place I feel is worth it.
This recipe also works great with beef ribs!
RUB Have fun with your rib rub! The combination listed in the recipe is a delicious starting place.
Enjoy it a little sweeter? Add a touch more brown sugar. Like it a little saltier? Add a dash more salt! Want a smoky flavor? Swap out the paprika for smoked paprika. The possibilities are endless!
SAUCE Pick your favorite BBQ sauce, try making your own barbecue sauce, or opt-out completely!
How to Cook Ribs in the Oven
In this recipe, the ribs are roasted low and slow to get the most melt-in-your-mouth tender meat.
- Peel the thin silvery skin off the back before cooking. Rinse your ribs in cold water and dab dry. (They often have small bone shards).
- Massage rib rub into the meat and place meat down on a baking sheet.
- Cover with garlic and onion. Then seal and bake at a low temperature until tender.
- Grill or broil to finish.
After roasting, if they are not tender, they need MORE time. After a couple of hours, pull a little piece off to test. If it is not melt-in-your-mouth tender, add another 20-30 minutes. If they are ready ahead of time, you can turn the oven off and let them sit for up to 1 hour if you don’t open the oven.
How Long to Cook Ribs in the Oven
My preferred method is a low temperature for a longer period of time. I most often cook baby back ribs in the oven at 275°F for about 2-2.5 hours.
- 275°F – 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours
- 300°F – 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours
- 350°F – 1 1/4 hours to 1/1/2 hours
If you’re looking to cook ribs quickly, Instant Pot Ribs are a great option. They come out tender and delicious and cook in about 25 minutes!
Sides to Serve with Ribs
- Crock Pot Corn on the Cob – Easy!
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole – BEST EVER!
- Old Fashioned Bean Salad
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- Creamy Apple Slaw Recipe – Fresh and crisp!
Did you love these BBQ Ribs in the Oven? Be sure to leave a rating or a comment below!
Barbecue Ribs in the Oven
- 3 pounds baby back ribs 2 slabs
- 2 onions sliced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
BBQ Rib Sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ cup chili sauce
- ½ cup your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Mix together Rib Rub ingredients.
- Remove the white membrane from the back side of the ribs (the side with less meat). It should pull off easily. Rinse ribs under cold water and blot dry with paper towels
- Massage Rib Rub into ribs. Place ribs on a foil lined tray and cover with sliced onion and garlic. Cover & seal with another piece of foil
- Bake ribs for 2 hours. Carefully open the corner of the sealed foil and make sure they are tender. If not, bake another 20 minutes and check again.
- Meanwhile, combine Rib BBQ Sauce ingredients together.
- Remove ribs and discard juices, onions & garlic. Brush ribs with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper or brush generously with BBQ sauce.
- Grill or broil over medium high heat 5-10 minutes.