Lobster mac and cheese is one of those uber-fancy once-in-a-while entrees on a restaurant menu.
Why not make the same rich and creamy, delish dish at home for both amazing flavor and lower price?
Easy Lobster Mac and Cheese
- The reviews are in! Homemade lobster mac and cheese rivals any of the restaurants near or far. Make it at home and impress the guests!
- It’s rich, creamy and delicious.
- While this dish isn’t cheap, it’s a great way to stretch 2 small lobster tails to feed a crowd!
- Use freshly cooked lobster, lobster tails, or even lobster meat.
- No Lobster?! No problem! Substitute canned crab, lump crab meat, or even cooked shrimp in place of lobster. Many stores carry frozen cooked lobster meat which would work well in this recipe too.
Grill some garlic bread and serve!
What’s in Lobster Mac & Cheese?
PASTA: This recipe uses cavatappi (corkscrew) pasta but any medium shape with ridges or tubes to hold the sauce works well.
SEAFOOD: Lobster has a sweet, buttery flavor that is perfectly complemented by the rich flavors of the cheese. But if lobster isn’t easily found, try smoked salmon, crab, scallops, or shrimp.
SAUCE: This is made with a roux using butter and flour (but don’t worry, it’s easy) and adding milk/light cream. Once thickened the cheeses are stirred in for a rich cheese sauce.
How to Make Lobster Mac and Cheese
Gourmet has never been this easy to make:
- Cook pasta – Make the topping & set aside. Boil the pasta al dente (firm).
- Make Sauce – Make a roux with butter, flour, & seasonings, then create the cheese sauce (per recipe below.)
- Add pasta – Add sauce to pasta with half the lobster. Stir to combine.
- Add Topping – Spread into a baking dish, top with remaining lobster & breadcrumb topping.
- Bake – Bake until the top is golden brown, garnish, & serve!
Tips for a Creamy Lobster Mac and Cheese
- Shred the cheeses from a block, pre-shredded cheeses have additives and do not melt well.
- Remove the sauce from the heat before stirring in the cheese. If overheated the cheese can separate or cause a grainy sauce.
- Ensure the lobster is cooled before adding to the pasta.
- Do not overcook or the pasta will become dry.
What Goes with Lobster Mac & Cheese?
Choose elegant sides that have a tangy flavor to them to offset the richness of the lobster mac and cheese. Roasted Asparagus with Tarragon Vinaigrette, Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts, a crunchy salad like Easy Arugula Salad, and of course some Homemade Focaccia Bread for dipping into the cheesy sauce!
How to Store
Keep leftover lobster mac and cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Reheat it on the stove and add a little milk or cream to thin it out a bit. Pasta does not freeze well, so enjoy lobster mac and cheese while it’s fresh!
More Mac & Cheese
- 15 Minute Mac and Cheese – simple stovetop version
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole – personal favorite
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese – comfort food with a kick
- Crock Pot Mac and Cheese – reader favorite
- Baked Jalapeño Mac & Cheese
- Pesto Mac and Cheese – a classic with a tasty twist
- Velveeta Mac and Cheese – easy and creamy
Did you make this Lobster Mac & Cheese? Leave us a comment and a rating below!
Extra Creamy Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces lobster meat cooked, chopped, about 2 cups *see note
- 16 ounces dry pasta cavatappi, penne or shells
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper to taste
- 2 ¾ cups milk
- ½ cup light cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 ¼ cups Gruyere cheese shredded, or swiss cheese, mozzarella, or havarti
- ½ cup fresh parmesan cheese shredded
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain and run under cold water and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Stir in flour and seasonings and cook 2 minutes.
- Combine milk and cream. Add to the flour mixture a little bit at a time whisking in after each addition. The mixture will be very thick at first but will smooth out as you continue adding liquid.
- Once all of the liquid is added, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1-2 minutes or until thickened while whisking.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses whisking until the sauce is smooth and melted.
- Combine the sauce and the pasta. Gently stir in half of the lobster meat and spread into the prepared pan.
- Add remaining lobster meat on top and sprinkle with the topping mixture.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and topping is browned. Do not overcook.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
This was far better than what I got in a restaurant! Absolutely LOVED IT!
Delicious. Baked in oven in rectangular slow cooker crock. Kept warm in slow cooker on table for buffet. Everyone raved! Mild flavor so tasted lobster flavor.
I would love to add scallops to the dish. How would I handle the scallops?
I would pre-cook and chop them similar to the lobster. If you try it I would love to hear how it turns out!
My 10 year old grandson made this Mac n cheese. It was delicious.
The lobster Mac and cheese was delicious.
This was fantastic! We cut it in half (but still used 2 small lobster tails) and took the advice of another reviewer and cooked the pasta in the same water the lobster was boiled in. So, so good.
We doubled the lobster but next time we’ll triple it!
I have made this recipe twice now, once at Thanksgiving and most recently I made this as a side dish at a neighbors Christmas party. Both times it was amazing and everyone commented on how wonderful it was. If you are looking for a Lobster Mac and Cheese recipe, I highly recommend this one.