Focaccia Bread is a favorite for us, warm from the oven dipped in olive oil!
This homemade bread is easy to make and soft and fluffy inside with just the right amount of chew.
What is Focaccia Bread?
Every cuisine has its own style of bread and this is an Italian favorite. Similar to the chewy texture of a deep-dish pizza crust, focaccia can be enjoyed and seasoned any way you’d like.
This recipe is seasoned with kosher salt and rosemary and perfect for dipping in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Don’t stop there, use it for sandwiches, or even to sop up any sauce left in the bottom of a bowl of pappardelle.
Our Favorite Focaccia Bread
- This is a great recipe for new bread bakers because it is practically foolproof!
- No extended kneading, rising, or shaping required!
- One of the easiest yeast bread that can be baked in a couple of hours and enjoyed all week long!
- Slice into breadsticks or cube it for croutons for lower calories.
Focaccia Bread Ingredients
FLOUR: All-purpose flour produces light, fluffy dough with air pockets that absorb spreads, sauces, and oils.
YEAST: This recipe uses Instant Yeast so it can be mixed right into the flour. If you don’t do a lot of baking, be sure to check the date on your yeast packets as the bread will not rise properly with expired yeast.
MIX-INS AND TOPPINGS: Focaccia bread is sturdy enough for many types of mix-ins and toppings!
How to Make Focaccia Bread
- Whisk flour, yeast, sugar, & salt together.
- Add warm water, 2 tablespoons olive oil, & whisk to proof the yeast.
- Cover & let dough rise in prepared pan.
- Poke holes all over the dough with a fork, toothpick, or finger.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top & sprinkle with rosemary, salt, or other desired toppings.
- Bake per recipe below.
How to Serve
Homemade focaccia up-levels every kind of pizza and sandwich! Use focaccia as a base for pizza and try this Homemade Pizza Sauce or this Homemade Garlic Aioli for sandwiches! Make Tzatziki to dip or enjoy focaccia with classic olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Focaccia tastes even better as it ages. Keep it in a zippered bag or an airtight container for up to a week. To freeze focaccia, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then wrap in foil and store in the freezer up to 1 month.
Best Baked Bread
- Homemade Pita Bread – soft & chewy
- Cheese Bread – quick bread
- Naan Bread – so easy to make
- Jalapeno Cheddar Bread – with a hint of heat
- Easy Beer Bread – only 5 simple ingredients
What’s your favorite way to serve Focaccia Bread? Leave us a comment below!
Homemade Focaccia Bread
- 6 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 ⅓ cups all purpose flour
- 1 packet instant yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅔ cups warm water 110-115°F
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary optional
- Grease a 9x13 baking sheet with butter. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan and spread in the bottom.
- Place flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Add warm water and 2 tablespoons olive oil and mix well.
- Place the dough into the prepared pan and cover. Let rise 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Once the dough has risen, poke the dough all over with your finger or the end of a wooden spoon. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt (and rosemary if desired).
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)