Pumpkin butter is the sweet & savory spread you didn’t know you needed!
This homemade pumpkin butter is easy because it uses canned pumpkin puree (or that leftover pumpkin from holiday pies).
A Healthier Spread
Pumpkin butter is so good! It’s a little bit sweet from the apple juice and a tinge of ginger and, like apple butter, it has much less fat than butter.
So what does one do with pumpkin butter? Spread it on toast or muffins. Serve it with waffles, french toast, or pancakes. Spoon it over ice cream, roll it up in crepes… the possibilities are endless.
Freeze it in ice cube trays, then pop the cubes in freezer bags to use all year long!
Pumpkin – I used canned pumpkin puree, not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling. No canned pumpkin? DIY your very own homemade pumpkin puree.
Sweetener – Apple juice and sugar sweeten this delicious pumpkin spread. Sub out the sugar for brown sugar or maple syrup, or even a sugar substitute if desired.
Spices – Pumpkin pie spice and some extra ginger are all that’s needed here. Feel free to add a dash of vanilla extract during the cooking process to deepen the flavors.
How to Make Pumpkin Butter
Homemade creamy pumpkin butter is as easy as 1, 2, 3 to make!
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk mixture.
- Cook on low per recipe instructions below, stirring frequently.
Cool and store in the fridge in an airtight jar for up to two weeks. Freeze in quart-sized zippered bags or ice cube trays with the date labeled on the outside for up to a year and use it all year long.
Pumpkin butter will thicken as it cools so be sure not to overcook it.
More Ways to Use Pumpkin Butter
- Use pumpkin butter anytime you need a quick spread for biscuits or muffins or add it to a bowl of oatmeal or Greek yogurt.
- You can even use pumpkin butter to make pumpkin ravioli (cut back on the sugar if you’re using it for ravioli).
- Thin it out with some chicken broth, simmer, then finish with a little cream and salt and pepper to make your own sauce for a pasta sausage bake!
- Try it on homemade raisin bran muffins or gingerbread muffins.
- Scoop some into a healthy smoothie for an extra shot of sweetness, nutrition, and fiber!
Perfect Pumpkin Recipes
Did you make this easy Pumpkin Butter? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Easy Pumpkin Butter
- 28 ounces pumpkin puree canned or fresh
- ½ cup apple juice
- ½ cup sugar or maple syrup, or to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or spices below
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Simmer on low, stirring frequently, 25-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Cool and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/8 teaspoon allspice, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves Fresh pumpkin puree may need extra cook time depending on how much water is in the pumpkin. Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!