This is the perfect cozy topping, with the richness of pumpkin and the freshness of crisp apples.
A Healthier Spread
We love apple pumpkin butter as a spiced spread on baked goods.
- made with fresh apples and canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- can use any sweetener you choose (honey or maple syrup are favorites)
- lower in fat and calories than butter
- lots of flavor (and makes the house smell amazing)
APPLES We love Granny smith apples in this recipe for the tart flavor. If you’d prefer a sweeter flavor, try Ambrosia or Galas.
PUMPKIN Canned pumpkin purée is easiest but you can use homemade pumpkin puree too!
SYRUP We use a combination of apple juice and maple syrup. Use 100% pure apple juice or cider, and 100% pure maple syrup for the best flavor.
How to Make Apple Pumpkin Butter
Apple pumpkin butter has easy-to-find ingredients and comes together in no time. It’s the perfect “something new” for toast or waffles!
- Simmer chopped apples with juice and syrup per recipe below.
- Mash apples and add remaining ingredients.
Kitchen Tip: Don’t thicken it too much, this spread will continue to thicken as it cools.
Cool and store for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. (If giving as a gift, label with “keep refrigerated” stickers.)
How to Store
- Apple pumpkin butter will keep about 5 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- It will freeze for about 6 months in zippered bags with the date labeled on the bags.
More Favorite Spreads
- Easy Pumpkin Butter
- Honey Butter
- Homemade Apple Butter
- Homemade Garlic Butter
- Homemade Nutella
- Whipped Strawberry Butter
- ‘Everything Bagel’ Butter
Did you love this Apple Pumpkin Butter? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Apple Pumpkin Butter
- 2 large granny smith apples
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup or to taste
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree canned or fresh
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or spices below
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Peel and core apples and cut into 1" chunks.
- Combine apples, juice, and maple syrup in a medium saucepan. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Slightly mash apples and add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered on low, stirring frequently, 25-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Cool and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/8 teaspoon allspice, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves Fresh pumpkin puree may need extra cook time depending on how much water is in the pumpkin. Don't thicken it too much, this spread will continue to thicken as it cools. Cool and store for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.