This moist and fluffy Pumpkin Cake makes an impressive dessert with little effort!
Pumpkin Cake spiced and dotted with chocolate chips but best of all, the addition of pumpkin puree makes it extra moist.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake
Few cakes are as versatile as this one. The texture is light and extra moist at the same time while the flavor is the perfect blend of pumpkin, spice and everything nice.
Plus it’s covered with a rich cream cheese frosting. Chocolate chip pumpkin cake is a dessert delight—just the showstopper to impress and make it ahead and let the flavors blend even more!
Ingredients and Variations
PUMPKIN What makes this cake so rich and flavorful is the addition of real canned pumpkin and extra eggs. If you’ve got fresh pumpkin you can make your own pumpkin puree to use in this recipe.
VARIATIONS Try subbing milk chips for chocolate chips, or adding chopped dried cranberries and pistachios for a colorful and festive flair! We also like sprinkling chopped walnut or pecans on top of the frosted finished cake!
PRO TIP: Roast nuts in a sauté pan until they are fragrant, and let them cool before adding to a recipe. This makes the nuts extra crunchy and really boosts their flavor!
How to Make Pumpkin Cake
Pumpkin Cake comes together in no time, but the results will have guests asking for the recipe!
- Whisk together the dry ingredients
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a smaller bowl.
- Create a well in the bowl of dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the center. Gently mix until the batter is just barely moistened. Avoid overmixing in order to keep the air in the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until a wooden pick comes out clean.
Baking Times for Different Pan Sizes
Rectangular Baking Pan: 30 to 35 minutes
Bundt Pan: 50 to 65 minutes
Cupcakes and Muffins: 20 to 22 minutes
Chocolate chip pumpkin cake tastes better the next day! Keep it covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Unfrosted pumpkin cake can be frozen for about a month if it’s wrapped tight and the date is written on the outside.
Our Fave Pumpkin Recipes
- Easy Pumpkin Bars – with cream cheese frosting
- Pumpkin Spice Latte – perfect for a cold day
- Pumpkin Roll Recipe – under 30 minutes
- No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake – 5-star recipe
- Mini Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes – so moist & rich
Did you love this Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ¾ cups white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cups canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- 3 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate bowl combine sugar, oil, vanilla, pumpkin, and eggs.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir until combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add in powdered sugar a little at a time. Add in vanilla and turn mixer on medium high and mix until light and fluffy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)