This moist and fluffy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake is delicious!
This easy cake recipe combines ingredients you likely have on hand with canned pumpkin puree and a handful of chocolate chips for a really moist cake. It’s all topped off with a super yummy
This is the perfect fall cake and it freezes well too!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake
- You likely have most of the ingredients on hand already!
- This cake is both light and extra moist at the same time.
- Pumpkin and chocolate pair so well in baked goods from cookies to cake, and this one is delicious.
- We love to top it with cream cheese frosting but a rich chocolate frosting is great on this cake too.
Ingredients and Variations
PUMPKIN What makes this cake so rich and flavorful is the addition of real canned pumpkin and extra eggs. If you’ve got fresh pumpkin you can make your own pumpkin puree to use in this recipe.
VARIATIONS Try subbing milk chips for chocolate chips, or adding chopped dried cranberries and pistachios for a colorful and festive flair! We also like sprinkling chopped walnut or pecans on top of the frosted finished cake!
PRO TIP: Roast nuts in a sauté pan until they are fragrant, and let them cool before adding to a recipe. This makes the nuts extra crunchy and really boosts their flavor!
How to Make Pumpkin Cake
Pumpkin Cake comes together in no time, but the results will have guests asking for the recipe!
- Whisk together the dry ingredients
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a smaller bowl.
- Create a well in the bowl of dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the center. Gently mix until the batter is just barely moistened. Avoid overmixing in order to keep the air in the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until a wooden pick comes out clean.
Baking Times for Different Pan Sizes
- Rectangular Baking Pan: 30 to 35 minutes
- Bundt Pan: 50 to 65 minutes
- Cupcakes and Muffins: 20 to 22 minutes
Chocolate chip pumpkin cake tastes better the next day! Keep it covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Unfrosted pumpkin cake can be frozen for about a month if it’s wrapped tight and the date is written on the outside.
Did you love this Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ¾ cups white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cups canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- 3 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×13 pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate bowl combine sugar, oil, vanilla, pumpkin, and eggs.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir until combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add powdered sugar a little at a time. Add in vanilla and turn mixer on medium-high and mix until light and fluffy.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!