This is my favorite green smoothie recipe. Kale, juicy pineapple, and sweet bananas are all blended until smooth with my favorite healthy additions. Bring it in a to-go mug or kickstart your day with this smoothie recipe first thing!
Yogurt is a breakfast favorite around here, often in the form of overnight oats or the perfect smoothie! With just a few ingredients, fresh or frozen produce, a little milk or yogurt, and a really great blender you can easily make a great snack or breakfast on the go!
Pro-Tip: Smoothies can be frozen into popsicles for an especially healthy summertime treat and the kids love having them for breakfast!
What is a Green Smoothie?
A healthy green smoothie recipe looks like a lot of things and there are absolutely no rules! Smoothies can be thick, refreshing shakes filled with nutritious fruits and vegetables, or they can be a simple like a kale smoothie; just juice and fresh kale, whizzed up into a quickie beverage, perfect for when you’re on the go!
Making a healthy smoothie recipe is easier than ever with this basic Green Smoothie Recipe! This recipe has a few main components but feel free to tweak and add your own additions. Kale adds sort of an earthy flavor so the pineapple and banana are the perfect complements!
- Flax Seeds
Other great additions
- Coconut milk
- Green Grapes
- Chia Seeds
- Orange Juice
Get creative with your smoothies to create your own favorites!
How to Make a Green Smoothie
When layering a green smoothie recipe for blending, start with the lighter ingredients first (like yogurt and greens) and the heavier ingredients on top (like fruit, bananas and ice if using). Gravity will help make blending easy!
- Greens & Fruit
- Kale is the “green” in this smoothie recipe but you can use spinach, or even swiss chard.
- For the fruit, you’ll want fruits that are sweet, tart and juicy with a bolder flavor like pineapple (or even mangoes).
- Banana is added for sweetness and to help thicken the smoothie. Freeze your banana and pineapple beforehand for a great thick consistency.
- Healthy smoothie recipes can be made with a wide variety of milks, too: almond, rice, coconut, hemp, whichever your taste buds prefer!
- Plain yogurt is a great base for this recipe. Plain Greek yogurt is thick and has a lot of protein. If you prefer a sweeter smoothie, add a bit of honey or use vanilla yogurt.
- Add Ins
- I like to add in flax for a boost of fiber which also helps keep me feeling full!
- Enjoy this recipe exactly as is or add in your own favorites like carrots, coconut milk, oranges or orange juice to name a few!
Keep adding fruits, veggies and/or juice until you get the flavor and consistency you like! Naturally, a great smoothie has the perfect combination of sweet and tart fruits (banana/pineapple in this case)!
How to Make Healthy Smoothies
Whether you are new to the world of making smoothies or are an old hand and have a favorite standby recipe – making easy green smoothie recipes a great meal on the go.
Most supermarkets sell frozen fruit and veggie smoothie medleys, but you can make your own with whatever you have on hand as well!
If you happen to have leftover smoothie, pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it. Once frozen, store it in a freezer bag and add them to your next smoothie!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Easy Kale Salad with Fresh Lemon Dressing
- Banana Breakfast Cookies
- Our Favorite Berry Smoothie
- Make Ahead Egg Muffins
- Overnight Oats
- Green Kiwi Smoothie
Green Smoothie Recipe
- ½ cup yogurt plain or Greek
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 banana
- 1 cup pineapple chopped
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 cup milk
- honey to taste optional
- Add yogurt, kale, banana, pineapple, flax seeds and milk to blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add honey to taste if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!