Fall is the perfect time of year for Pumpkin Pancakes!
Traditional pancake ingredients are combined with pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and a touch of brown sugar.
While you can add pumpkin to pancake mix, it’s easy to make pumpkin pie pancakes from scratch. Using traditional ingredients, and adding in pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice adds a delicious fall flavor to this recipe reminiscent of my fave pumpkin pie recipe!
IMPORTANT The batter for these pancakes is very thick (even thicker than banana pancakes) so once you put it in the pan, you’ll need to spread it using a spatula to shape your pancakes.
You likely have everything you need on hand to make these pumpkin pancakes. They have a light pumpkin flavor with deliciously warm spices.
- Pumpkin: Either canned or homemade pumpkin puree give these pancakes a delicious pumpkin flavor!
- Spice: Pumpkin pie spice are traditional warm flavors that pair well with all pumpkin recipes.
- Everything nice: A touch of brown sugar (instead of white sugar) adds flavor!
- Buttermilk: A key ingredient in this recipe is buttermilk (you can make your own substitution here). It is slightly acidic and reacts with baking powder to help these pancakes stay fluffy!
How to Make Pumpkin Pancakes
- Combine wet ingredients in a bowl and dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix wet and dry just until combined.
- Pour onto a hot greased skillet and gently spread the batter for each pancake with the back of a spatula.
- Flip each pancake when the bubbles have popped and they’re golden brown and continue to cook until done.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!
Go traditional with real maple syrup, walnuts or pecans, whipped cream, and butter! Real butter of course! Or swap it up with the following:
- vanilla yogurt and granola
- sliced bananas
- poached eggs for a sweet and savory breakfast
- apple pie filling or other fruit toppings
These easy spiced Pumpkin Pancakes really are the perfect breakfast treat for the fall season but I would make them during Thanksgiving or Christmas as well.
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Banana Pancakes
- Fluffy Homemade Waffles
- Easy Quiche Recipe
- Mexican Slow Cooker Breakfast
- Avocado Toast
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Bacon
- 1 ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- Combine buttermilk, pumpkin puree, oil, eggs and vanilla in a bowl.
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients. Mix just until combined. Allow to rest about 10 minutes.
- Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium heat. Grease with butter or oil. Pour ¼ cup batter per pancake and gently spread with the back of a spatula.
- Cook until lightly browned and the bubbles on top begin to pop. Flip and continue to cook until done. About 4 minutes per side.