Homemade Potato Skins are one of my absolute favorite appetizer recipes! These easy baked potato skins are deliciously crispy with a garlic buttered exterior and then fully loaded with bacon, cheese and green onions!
Loaded Potato Skins
Potato skins are delicious and easy to make. We use russet potatoes as the skins hold up well (but save the skins from baked sweet potatoes, because you can eat sweet potato skins and they’re amazing in this recipe too)!
Most restaurant style potato skins are deep fried and then the toppings are added and they’re broiled. While I love them, I don’t love how greasy they can be (and homemade potato skins are so much better).
This recipe bakes the potato skins until crisp and then adds toppings and they bake a few minutes more until the cheese is melted.
How to Make Potato Skins
Potato skins are simple to make and they taste amazing! They’re easy to crisp up in the oven and can be prepped ahead of time if you’re having guests.
- Choose smaller potatoes to make bite sized snacks.
- Use russet potatoes and bake potatoes in the oven until tender.
- Cool completely before cutting. Save the inside for Baked Potato Soup or use to make Mashed Potatoes.
- Cut lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. I usually leave about 1/4″ of potato in the shell. You need enough to allow the potato to hold up.
Toppings for Baked Potato Skins
Fill the skins with your favorite toppings and bake. Add cheese and bacon or turn these into a meal with heartier toppings. The possibilities are endless:
- Bacon, cheddar and chive/onions dipped in sour cream for the classic potato skin recipe
- Ground beef seasoned with Taco Seasoning, cheese and cilantro
- Leftover Crock Pot Pulled Pork (with Mac and Cheese in the bottom of if you have some)
- Create Jalapeno Popper Potato Skins for a spicy twist on the usual
- Fill with Sloppy Joe meat and cheese for a fun potato skins meal
Can Potato Skins Be Made Ahead of Time
Freeze the empty shells on a baking pan and then once frozen, stack them in a freezer bag. They’ll keep for several months in the freezer. Bake these easy potato skins starting right from frozen, no need to defrost first!
More Appetizer Recipes You’ll Love
- The BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip (video)
- Mexican Corn Dip
- 7 Layer Dip
- Crispy Fried Dill Pickles
- Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Smokies
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Crispy Oven Baked Potato Skins
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine butter, parsley, seasoned salt and garlic powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Ensure baked potatoes are cooled. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, scoop out the flesh leaving a ¼" shell (or more if you'd prefer).
- Brush both the inside and outside of the potatoes with the butter mixture. Place potatoes cut side down in baking dish. Bake 15 minutes.
- Flip potatoes over and bake an additional 5 minutes or until slightly browned and crisp.
- Fill each potato with cheese and bacon. Return to the oven for another 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, top with chives and serve with sour cream.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)