Homemade Ranch Dressing tastes way better than anything you’ll get from a bottle. It’s so incredibly easy anyone can master this recipe! A combination of fresh (or dried herbs) and spices in a creamy base of sour cream and just the right amount of tang!
Perfect for dipping veggies, dressing up a tossed salad, or for serving alongside CrockPot Chicken Wings, this simple dip and dressing mix is sure to become an addictive staple you won’t want to leave out!
What is Ranch Dressing?
Who invented this ranch dressing deliciousness anyhow? Ranch Dressing was invented in the 1950’s by a Nebraska cowboy named Steve Hensen, who perfected the recipe on his own dude ranch. It was so popular that before long he was shipping his ranch seasoning mix all over the country, and Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing was born.
Ranch dressing is an amazing combination of zesty herbs with onion or chive flavors in a creamy base usually consisting sour cream, mayo, or plain yogurt (and sometimes buttermilk). No matter what you use as the base, ranch dressing is always bound to be a favorite! This recipe uses sour cream and mayo, which is perfect for when you need a thicker, creamier dressing.
It became a staple in every American household. And who doesn’t love to use ranch dressing on everything from pizza crusts to buffalo wings? I know I do!
How to Make Ranch Dressing
This is pretty much the easiest thing you’ll ever make, short on time, but long on flavor!
- Mix the herbs and spices together. Tip: If using dry, you can make this dry mixture ahead and have it ready to go, like a sort of Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix.
- Add the seasoning to the lemon juice and other wet ingredients, and mix thoroughly until completely blended.
- Chill until cold and flavors have blended, at least 1 hour!
How Long Does it Last?
Homemade Ranch Dressing will keep in the refrigerator as long as your dairy is good. Check the dates on your sour cream and milk so you know how long you can keep the dressing. It must be store in the fridge because of the sour cream, mayo and milk mixture (and it doesn’t freeze well).
Ranch Dressing Variations
You can easily change this recipe up to add in anything that strikes your fancy. Reduce the milk to make this a dip. Use your imagination to spice it up even more (unless you’re a Ranch Dressing purist, of course!)
- Try adding in bacon crumbles, because… bacon, my friends, bacon!
- Add in finely shredded parmesan or a mixture of different cheeses for Homemade Three Cheese Ranch!
- Crushed black peppercorns! Or, tricolor peppercorns.
- Jalapeno peppers for a perfect jalapeno ranch (I prefer pickled and finely diced).
- A splash of pickle juice for some zest!
Or, you could even add in crushed chilies if you are craving something spicy! And I love knowing I can quickly and easily put together everyone’s favorite ranch dressing whenever I need a last minute dip or a dressing for any occasion! Enjoy it with your family tonight!
More Delicious Dressing Recipes
- Sesame Ginger Dressing – we love this on Asian salads!
- Blue Cheese Dressing – perfect for chicken wings
- Italian Dressing – great on everything
- Honey Mustard Dressing – one of my favorites
- Thousand Island Dressing – perfect for burgers
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed or 1 teaspoon fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 2 teaspoons fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried chives or 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.