This Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup has hearty vegetables, tender shredded chicken, and a generous helping of cheese tortellini. A complete meal in a bowl.
It’s all simmered in a rich and creamy broth that’s seasoned to perfection! Chilly days and nights call for cozy homemade soups like this one!
Creamy & Cozy Tortellini Soup
As much as I like Olive Garden’s tortellini soup, there’s nothing like homemade.
- This cozy soup tastes like it’s been slow cooking all day when it really comes together in only one pot in less than an hour!
- Fresh ingredients, many of which you likely already have on hand, make this recipe easy to put together.
- Soup recipes are perfect for using up leftover chicken (and even roast veggies)!
- Serve it with a basket of easy homemade breadsticks or top with some crunchy croutons. Don’t forget to add a fresh and crispy salad or a colorful tomato salad.
CHICKEN Leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken keeps prep time short! We do keep a container of frozen shredded chicken in the freezer which is perfect for recipes like this. This recipe is also great with Italian sausage or smoked sausage.
VEGETABLES This soup has carrots, onions, and celery which crease a flavorful base. Peas or green beans add a shot of color and texture but feel free to add other veggies like sliced mushrooms, chopped spinach or kale, or diced tomatoes. Make it as basic or busy as desired!
BROTH While we do love a tomato tortellini soup, this version has a creamy broth. A little flour is added to thicken it slightly! Short on time? Add a jar of Alfredo sauce in Step 5 and make it extra creamy!
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Cook onion in butter until tender. Add flour, seasonings, & whisk in broth.
- Simmer with bay leaf & veggies (as per recipe below).
- Add cream, chicken, & tortellini and simmer until tortellini is cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf & stir in peas. Season & serve.
Keep leftover creamy chicken tortellini soup covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop.
Freeze chilled soup in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 8 weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat as directed.
More Tortellini Favorites
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Italian Tortellini Salad
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Cheese Tortellini with Quick Tomato Sauce
- Greek Tortellini Salad
- Creamy Baked Tortellini
Did your family love this Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 large potato peeled & diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or chopped
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces cheese tortellini fresh or frozen
- ⅓ cup frozen green peas thawed, or green beans
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat and cook onions until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour and seasonings and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in broth a bit at a time whisking until smooth after each addition.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook covered for 17 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the chicken, tortellini, and cream, simmer an additional 5 minutes uncovered or until tortellini is cooked through.
- Stir in peas, discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let rest 2-3 minutes to heat the peas.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.