There’s nothing like a cozy bowl of Chicken Tortellini Soup to warm you up at the end of a long day. This recipe is chock full of veggies, tender chunks of chicken, and pillowy soft cheese tortellini.
Serve this easy meal with a tossed salad and some crusty bread for dunking.
What Is Chicken Tortellini Soup?
Tortellini soup is often cream, cheese and fat laden but this recipe is deliciously fresh. In addition to diced chicken and aromatic vegetables, it includes a simple tomato broth and cheese-filled tortellini. Savory home-cooked comfort at its best!
Flavor this soup with dried Italian herb seasoning for a delicious taste without having to pull out tons of spices, this herb mix combines basil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary.
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup
It’s easy to make a quick and nutritious soup:
- Brown Chicken & Onion: In a soup pot, brown the diced onion and chicken chunks.
- Simmer Veggies & Broth: Add remaining ingredients and simmer until tender.
- Add Tortellini: Stir in the tortellini and let it simmer, it only needs a few minutes to cook.
TIP: If you won’t be eating all of the soup at once, cook the tortellini separately and add it to each bowl. If the tortellini sits in the leftovers, it will get soggy.
Delicious Variations: Try sausage, chicken or spinach stuffed tortellini if you prefer. Some mini ravioli are also an option if you can’t find tortellini. As for spinach, either fresh or frozen will do. This recipe is also a great way to use up leftover chicken breast.
What to Serve with Chicken Tortellini Soup
Chicken with tortellini soup tastes great with sandwiches like grilled cheese, tuna melt or sliced turkey sandwiches. Or, make the meal simple with a delicious bread dish like sliced Italian bread. Serve with olive oil dipping bowls, seasoned with parmesan cheese and the same Italian herbs you use for the soup.
Can You Freeze Chicken Tortellini Soup?
Chicken and tortellini soup will keep in the fridge for up to four days, or in the freezer for up to four months. Reheat without thawing in advance, either in the microwave or on the stovetop on low heat.
This nourishing and tasty soup is the perfect recipe for cozy comfort anytime!
Delicious Chicken Soup Recipes
- Chicken Barley Soup – deliciously simple
- Chicken Rice Soup – loaded with veggies!
- Lemon Chicken Soup – ready in 30 mins!
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – great Mexican-inspired soup
- Easy Chicken Taco Soup – full of flavor
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup – full meal in one bowl
Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14 oz, with juices
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 package fresh cheese-filled tortellini 12 oz
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach, chopped or kale
- 1 bay leaf
- parmesan for serving
- Season chicken with salt & pepper.
- In a large dutch oven, cook onion and chicken until browned (chicken does not need to be cooked through).
- Add seasonings, chicken broth, tomatoes, carrots, celery, and bay leaf. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Stir in tortellini and spinach, simmer an additional 7 minutes or until tortellini is tender.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)