Soup is the perfect belly-warming meal in a bowl and this sausage tortellini soup is both quick and delicious.
It’s a one-pot soup packed with Italian sausage, cheese tortellini, and a handful of veggies. It comes together in no time and satisfies even the heartiest of appetites!
A Favorite Tortellini Soup Recipe
- This soup is ready in just over 30 minutes start to finish.
- Italian sausage (hot or mild) adds great flavor but you can swap it out for your favorite ground meat.
- This recipe is great with extra veggies including bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach, and kale.
- Just one pot means less mess, fewer dishes, and easier clean-up.
MEAT Ground Italian sausage is used in this recipe. If you use other ground meats, you’ll want to boost the seasonings a bit with Italian seasoning and some extra salt! Fennel is the spice that gives Italian sausage its flavor so add a little if you have it.
BROTH I prefer a low sodium beef broth in this recipe but chicken broth will work. A little bit of cornstarch adds great texture to the broth just thickening it very slightly.
VEGGIES Onion adds flavor (feel free to throw in a couple of cloves of garlic too). The canned tomatoes add a bit of zest and texture, if you prefer you can use crushed tomatoes (or break up some canned whole tomatoes).
TORTELLINI Italian sausage makes this soup meaty so we prefer cheese tortellini in this recipe but feel free to use your favorite. Mini ravioli works too.
Pro Tip: Adding a little bit of cornstarch to the broth doesn’t thicken it but it does add a silky feel!
- Add a splash of hot sauce or a few red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
- Any veggie goes from chopped carrots or bell pepper to mushrooms.
- Add your favorite herbs like thyme, rosemary, or parsley.
How to Make Sausage Tortellini Soup
You’ll love how easy it is to make this tasty Italian-style soup! We love that this broth-based version skips the heavy cream.
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, cook sausage & onion. Break it up with a wooden spoon cooking until no pink remains. Drain grease.
- Add broth, tomatoes, & seasonings; simmer to blend flavors.
- Add tortellini & zucchini and simmer until tender.
- Season with salt & black pepper to taste and serve.
- To make prep quick, while the sausage is cooking prepare the other ingredients. While the soup is simmering, slice the zucchini.
- Leftover meats and veggies can be added. If they are already cooked add them in the last few minutes since they just need to heat through.
- Boost the flavor of this soup by adding a parmesan cheese rind (or vegetable juice like V8) to the broth as it simmers. Discard the rind before serving.
Make-Ahead & Leftovers
- Pasta doesn’t keep well in soups, it will soak up the broth and get mushy. If you plan for leftovers, cook the tortellini separately.
- Keep tortellini soup covered in the refrigerator and it will last about 4 days.
- Double the base of this soup (without tortellini) and freeze half for another day. Add any fresh pasta once thawed.
- Freeze portions of soup in freezer bags, muffin tins, or a freezer container without pasta (or with the pasta on the side). Add tortellini or pasta once thawed
More Quick Soups
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup – so cheesy & creamy
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Zucchini Soup
- Creamy Corn Soup – the ultimate comfort food
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup – easy to make
Did you love this Sausage Tortellini Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Sausage Tortellini Soup
- ½ pound Italian sausage hot or mild
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juices
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 9 ounces fresh cheese tortellini about 2.5 to 3 cups uncooked
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- shredded parmesan cheese and parsley for serving
- Cook sausage and onion until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Combine water and cornstarch and add to the pot along with broth, diced tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Bring to a boil. Add tortellini and zucchini and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 6-7 minutes or until tortellini is tender. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Top with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese for serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!