Cream of Onion Soup is a rich and creamy soup filled with the flavor of sweet onions.
Onions have a natural sweetness (which is why they caramelize so beautifully) and add a delicate and delicious flavor to this soup. It’s great served next to a salad with crusty bread.
Cream of Onion Soup
- Onion soup is made in one pot and goes from the stovetop to the tabletop in minutes! Or, keep it warm in a Crockpot and let everyone help themselves. Set out bowls of shredded cheese and some Homemade Croutons.
- Unlike a traditional French Onion soup, the caramelized onions and celery are pureed for a rich and creamy soup that’s perfect for dipping crusty bread. Even kids will love its sweet/savory flavor.
- Every home cook needs a few of their own made-from-scratch soup recipes. Nothing smells better than a slow, simmering pot of soup on the stove, ready to serve.
ONIONS: This recipe is best with sweet onions like Walla Wallas, Vidalias, or a combination of the two but regular onions will work just fine too. For a heartier vegetable-style soup, stir in or puree roasted veggies like carrots or potatoes.
SOUP BASE: Broth and heavy creams make the perfect base for any soup or stew. Any type of broth or stock will do, simply adjust the seasonings.
ADD INS: Onion soup is ideal for adding in leftover baked ham (or honey ham)!
How to Make Cream of Onion Soup
Cream of Onion Soup is so delicious and so easy!
- Caramelize the onions and celery in a large pot. Add flour & thyme per the recipe below.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients & bring to a boil, simmer until veggies are tender.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or carefully pour soup into a blender & puree.
- Season & serve.
Texture Tip: We love to puree this soup so it is completely smooth. If you prefer a little bit of texture, remove some of the onions before pureeing the soup, chop them and add them back into the pot.
What to Serve with Soup
Garnish with some crispy fried onions, herbs, or croutons. Fresh parmesan is a great addition too.
Onion soup is a classic recipe that stands the test of time! Serve as a side dish with some crackers or a baguette of Homemade Garlic Bread, or some Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks. Or make some colorfully crunchy salads like Beet & Arugula Salad, Old Fashioned Three Bean Salad, or Brussels Sprout Salad.
How to Store
Cream of onion soup keeps best in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 4 days. Freeze portions in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks. Reheat soup on the stovetop and serve.
Cozy & Creamy Soups
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup – stovetop or crockpot
- Creamy Sausage & Cabbage Soup – ultimate comfort food
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup – ready in 30 minutes
- Creamy Asparagus Soup – full of flavor
- Ham and Corn Chowder – best way to use leftover ham
- Mac and Cheese Soup – so cheesy & delish
Did your family love this Cream of Onion Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Cream of Onion Soup
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 pound sweet onions cut into ¼" slices
- 3 ribs celery finely chopped
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until tender and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in flour and thyme, cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in broth, a bit at a time, stirring until smooth after each addition.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
- Blend soup with a hand blender, add in cream and simmer 5 minutes more. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley if desired and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
A beautiful rich soup
I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe Donna!
I LOVE THIS RECIPE. I made one batch today and it was so good that I decided to use all the onions I have and made 4 batches. So delicious and so easy to make, the combination of the sweet onions and thyme are so good together. Thanks for this recipe. I am going to fill my freezer with it now.
I am so happy to hear you love this recipe Jacquelinen!
This is the best onion soup I (and my husband) have ever tasted! I went by the recipe except for using whole milk instead of cream because that’s all I had. Thanks so much! Definitely a keeper.
I am so happy to hear this recipe was a hit Karen!
Hi! Your recipe notes state to caramelize the onions; however, the directions state to only cook them for 5-7 minutes which would not be long enough to caramelize them. Can you please clarify which is correct! Thank you!
Hi Melinda, you will want to cook them for 5-7 minutes until the onions are tender and translucent as per the recipe. Enjoy!
Absolutely delicious!! I have been looking for a creamy onion soup since I had it in Italy, this is the one! Thank you!
So glad you loved it Jenny!