Celery soup is one of those light and elegant soups that are often seen on menus and can easily be made from scratch at home.
A simple combination of celery and potatoes is simmered until tender and blended until smooth. Meatless Monday has never tasted better!
Creamy Celery Soup
Perfect for a rainy-day soup or when you need to whip up a quick meal based on what you have on hand!
This great dish uses simple pantry ingredients with a few other items I always have on hand (like butter, a potato, and some celery).
It comes together in one pot in no time at all.
Is Celery Soup Healthy? Even when served without any add-ins, celery has health benefits. When combined with onions it just gets better.
What’s in Celery Soup?
VEGGIES This mildly flavored soup is made from celery (of course!), potatoes, and onions. Add carrots, broccoli, or spinach if you’d like!
DAIRY A very little bit of heavy cream is added to the soup to give it its creamy, rich flavor. Milk will work in a pinch, but the soup won’t be quite as creamy.
HERBS & SPICES Salt & pepper, fresh dill, and parsley are the final touches to this creamy soup!
How to Make Celery Soup
Celery soup is super easy to make!
- Sauté onion and celery in butter until translucent (per recipe below).
- Add potatoes and broth, simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Blend, garnish, and serve.
- Use a hand blender (immersion blender) to blend the soup. For chunkier soup, remove some of the celery and potato pieces before blending and chop them a bit. Add them back to the blended soup.
- If the soup is too thick, add a little more cream and stir thoroughly.
Smooth and Silky
Celery has long fibers and these strands stay intact when cooked. Be sure to blend very well.
Much like potato leek soup, this can be strained to make it perfectly smooth and silky. Strain the blended soup through cheesecloth to remove any stringy bits. If we’re eating it ourselves, I don’t usually bother but for guests, we like to strain it.
- To reheat: simmer it on the stove, adding more cream (or milk) to thin as desired. Celery soup is even better the next day when the flavors have had more time to blend. It should keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in a sealed container.
- To freeze: ladle into zippered bags and lay them flat in the freezer. Once frozen, the bags can be stored upright to save freezer space. Use in any recipe that calls for a celery soup base!
More Savory Soups
- Sausage & Kale Soup – a one pot meal
- Zucchini Soup – use up those garden veggies!
- Mushroom Barley Soup – easy prep
- Butternut Squash Soup – so rich & creamy
- Creamy Turnip Soup – hearty & delicious
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup – made from scratch
- Creamy Corn Soup – loaded with corn & potatoes
Did your family love this Celery Soup? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Creamy Celery Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cups celery chopped, ½" thick
- 1 small potato peeled, chopped ½" thick, about 1 cup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley more for garnish if desired
- fresh dill, croutons, and cream for garnish optional
- Place butter, onion and celery in a large pot. Cook over medium heat until tender without browning, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add potatoes to pot with broth. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend soup until very smooth. Add cream, lemon juice, and seasoning to taste. Simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Optional: For a smoother soup, strain through cheesecloth to remove any stringy celery bits if desired.
- Stir in herbs and garnish with a drizzle of cream if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!