This is an easy, sweet and tart bread. It’s great for those holiday mornings spent with family and you want something a little special for breakfast.
It’s very simple to put together and tastes delicious! This bread freezes beautifully so it’s a great make-ahead breakfast or snack to pull out when unexpected guests show up!
Click print here ↓
Cranberry Walnut Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
Crumble Topping (optional)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter cubed
- ¼ cup oats
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the milk and egg to the dry mixture. Stir until everything is just moist and add the butter. Stir until combined, but do not over-mix. Fold in the cranberries and nuts.
- For the crumble topping, combine all the ingredients. Work the mixture with your hands, squeezing and stirring until it’s all moist and crumbly.
- Grease a 8x4 pan — you can put all the batter in one pan to make one loaf, but I’ve divided it in two pans so I can freeze one loaf for later. Sprinkle the crumble topping on the loaf.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Check for doneness and turn. Bake for 15 more minutes or until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. It’s delicious served with a pat of butter and a cup of coffee or tea.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)