This easy recipe for an apple crumble is the best way to bring fresh crisp apples to the table!
In just a few simple steps (with ingredients you likely have on hand already), this delicious dessert will be ready to take to a party, picnic, or potluck.
What is a Crumble?
A crumble is fruit mixed with sweetened seasonings like cinnamon, allspice, cloves, sugar and a bit of flour or cornstarch for thickening.
This crumble topping differs from that of an apple crisp or apple cobbler.
- Apple Cobbler is more of a cake-like or biscuit-like topping depending on the recipe.
- Apple crisp contains oats and nuts.
- In our family, apple crumble (as in this recipe) is made with a simple streusel topping made of butter, flour, sugars, and spices.
Apples for Baking
Granny smith apples tend to hold up well to baking and we love the tart flavor. While any apple will work, some apples can become mushy or almost bake into an applesauce-like consistency.
The best apples for baking are Granny Smith, Honeycrisp or Gala.
Add berries or even pears to your apples for a great twist.
How to Make Apple Crumble
Sometimes simple is best when it comes time to make dessert, especially when it takes just 3 steps!
- Place toppings in a bowl and cut with a pastry cutter until it begins to stick together as you mix it. Refrigerate while preparing apples.
- Toss apples with sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle topping on and bake according to recipe below.
Tips for Success
- No pastry cutter? Just cut with two butter knives in a criss-cross motion across the topping.
- Use cold butter in this recipe and mix the topping until it starts to stick together and form larger pieces.
- Refrigerate the topping while prepping the apples, this helps keep it from melting and keeps it crumbly.
- Use firm apples so they don’t lose their shape and become mushy while baking. Overbaking can cause mushy apples.
- Adding nuts or granola makes the crumble extra crunchy.
- Apple Dumplings
- Apple Pie Recipe
- Homemade Applesauce
- The Best Apple Crumb Pie
- Apple Pie Filling Recipe
- Tarte Tatin
Did your family love this Apple Crumble? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Homemade Apple Crumble
- 6 cups apples peeled and chopped, 1" pieces
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or apple pie spice
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place all topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until the mixture starts to stick together, about 3 minutes. Place in the fridge while preparing the apples.
- Place apples in a 2qt baking dish and toss with sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle topping over top and bake 35-40 minutes or until golden and apples are soft.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!