Banana Bread is one of the most classic quick bread recipes out there. Overripe bananas (with lots of black/brown spots) are mixed with a handful of ingredients you likely have on hand already!
Mildly sweet and definitely moist, everyone loves this recipe!
Homemade banana bread is the best way to start the day or end an afternoon with a nice cup of tea. Sweeter bread recipes, like zucchini bread or pumpkin bread, are always perfect for quick breakfasts, snacks, or desserts.
How Ripe Should Bananas be for Banana Bread?
Bananas are at their sweetest and ripest when they are nicely spotted and just about to turn soft.
If you notice your bananas are soft and don’t have time to make bread, peel them and freeze them. They can stay frozen for months and you will always be ready to make homemade banana bread.
To Ripen Bananas Quickly
Want banana bread or banana cake but your bananas are just barely yellow? No problem!
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place bananas on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Cool completely and proceed with the recipe as directed.
How to Make Banana Bread
- Combine dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients together, stirring in bananas last.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until barely mixed and bake (per recipe below).
Serve fresh out of the oven or heated slightly with butter for an easy and delicious snack!
Delicious Banana Bread Additions
Banana bread can be made even better with all of these add-ins.
TIP: Toss the additions with a bit of flour before adding to the batter. This will help keep them from sinking to the bottom of the loaf.
- Nuts (toasted walnuts or pecans)
- Chocolate chips or peanut butter chips
- Toffee pieces
How To Store It
Quick bread is easy to store and will last about 5 days when stored properly.
Always keep wrapped in plastic wrap, foil, or in a zippered bag at room temperature.
To Freeze Banana Bread
Most quick breads are easily frozen, just make sure they are sealed well.
Freeze in a zippered bag or an airtight container labeled with the date on it. Frozen banana bread should be good for about eight weeks. Thaw at room temp and serve!
Quick Breads You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Bread – perfectly spiced
- Easy Banana Bread Recipe – made with mayonnaise
- Chocolate Banana Bread – triple chocolate
- Lemon Blueberry Bread – great snack!
- Zucchini Bread – crazy moist!
- Pecan Coconut Banana Bread – lots of flavor
Classic Banana Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups mashed bananas about 4 small
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour (or line with parchment paper) a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- With a hand mixer on medium, combine butter and sugars in a medium bowl until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.