Lemon Blueberry Bread is perfect for the end-of-summer blueberries and bright, citrusy lemons! Make this recipe as a bread or muffins. Either way, it’s delicious toasted or sliced and served with coffee, tea, or a big glass of milk!
Like banana bread, this is great as a snack or even a dessert. Can you imagine Lemon blueberry bread slices as French toast? Add a little dollop of whipped cream on top for the most decadent of dessert breakfast.
To Make Blueberry Bread
This recipe is so incredibly easy, made with the best of what summer has to offer, berries and citrus!
- Prep: Combine wet ingredients (per recipe below). Stir the dry ingredients together with the lemon zest.
- Mix: Add the wet to the dry and gently mix. Overmixing will cause a chewy loaf so mix just until combined for a tender crumb.
Baking with Blueberries
I use fresh blueberries in this recipe but you can use frozen blueberries in baking too!
- FLOUR: Tossing blueberries with flour keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the batter.
- FROZEN BERRIES: If using frozen berries, there is no need to defrost first but your loaf may need 10 minutes or so extra.
- COLOR: Frozen blueberries may change the color of your batter but will still taste amazing.
- FRUIT: Short on blueberries? Sub in other favorite fruits for a great bread
Toppings for Lemon Blueberry Loaf
I create a simple glaze for this recipe with lemon juice and sugar. This glaze is poured over the warm bread, almost like a poke cake for a burst of lemon flavor.
Use a chopstick or skewer to poke the holes.
Tip: Put a lemon in the microwave about 30 seconds to warm enough to extract as much juice as possible from them!
If you’d prefer a crumble topping for this bread, combine the following and sprinkle overtop the bread. Gently press into the batter before baking.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- pinch of cinnamon
How to Tell Quick Bread is Ready
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. A smooth, golden color on the top is also a good sign that the bread is ready, too!
Storing Blueberry Bread
Easy peasy! Keep it tightly wrapped or covered and your lemon blueberry bread will last at least a week (if it’s not gobbled up first)!
Can Freeze It? Absolutely! Lemon blueberry bread freezes great because it is denser than a cake or pastry. Just make sure it is totally cooled, slice it and wrap it tightly, label it, and pop it in the freezer in a single layer. Once it is totally frozen, feel free to stack the slices!
This is the best summertime recipe ever! Totally versatile and flavorful at the same time!
More Fun Bread Recipes
- Easy Banana Bread – quick & easy classic!
- Monkey Bread – sweet & sticky treat
- Pumpkin Zucchini Bread – loaded with fall flavors!
- Easy Rolo Pull-Apart Bread – just 2 ingredients
- Chocolate Banana Bread – triple chocolate infusion!
- Warm Apple Bread – delicious apple pie bread
Lemon Blueberry Loaf
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup light cream or milk
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon juiced & zested
- 1 ¼ cup blueberries divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease & flour a 9x5 pan.
- Zest & juice the lemon. Set each aside.
- Cream butter & sugar, add in eggs and milk. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Add to butter mixture and stir just until combined, do not over mix.
- In a bowl, toss blueberries with flour. Remove any excess flour and fold 1 cup of blueberries into the batter. Pour into prepared pan. Top with remaining blueberries.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Stir together powdered sugar and remaining lemon juice until smooth. Poke holes all over the loaf (I used a chopstick) and pour glaze over the loaf. Cool completely.