Carrot bread is a sweet and delicious quick bread filled with carrots, spice, and everything nice!
Use up all that fall bounty of garden carrots and bake them into this moist carrot bread. Quick breads are easy to make and freeze beautifully!
DRY INGREDIENTS Typical of a basic quick bread, this uses all-purpose flour with baking soda to give it some rise. I add cinnamon and a dash of pumpkin pie spice. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, use extra cinnamon or even apple pie spice.
CARROTS Carrots should be shredded using the coarse side of a cheese grater. They can be peeled or if you scrub them, you can skip peeling them.
VARIATIONS We like to add mix-ins like toasted walnuts. Toss in some coconut, raisins, or even diced apples if you’d like.
How to Make Carrot Bread (overview)
- Combine dry ingredients (per recipe below) and set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients with the shredded carrot.
- Fold dry ingredients to the wet, being careful not to overmix. Fold in any mix-ins and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
PRO TIP: For the walnuts, gently toast them in a sauté pan before using. Toasted nuts stay crunchier and have a more pronounced flavor!
Freezing and Storage
- Like most quick breads, carrot bread will last up to a week as long as it’s at room temperature in a zippered bag or container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Try keeping a slice of regular bread in the container with the carrot bread to absorb extra moisture.
- Freeze carrot bread by wrapping tightly in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil with the date written on the outside. Frozen carrot bread will last about a month in the freezer.
- Do not overmix the batter, stir just until combined.
- Use parchment paper to line the bottom of the loaf pan to make it easy to remove.
- Ovens can vary slightly, check the bread at least 10 minutes before you think it will be done.
- This bread is easier to slice when completely cooled.
More Quick Breads We Love
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread – moist & decadent
- Zucchini Bread – the perfect snack
- Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- Pumpkin Bread – easy to make
- Homemade Gingerbread – soft & moist
- Classic Banana Bread – 5 star recipe
Did your family love this Carrot Bread? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 ½ cups carrots grated
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mix carrots, eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Fold in walnuts and mix just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)