Creamed Spinach side is a wonderful addition to any holiday meal and the perfect side for any weeknight meal! It’s quick, easy and delicious!
What is Creamed Spinach?
Creamed spinach is a side dish often served with steaks or even Oven Baked Chicken Breasts. This recipe is a delicious combination of tender sweet spinach in a creamy sauce (and has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid)!
Creamed Spinach starts with fresh spinach (although you can use frozen), stems removed and chopped. I prefer the flavor of fresh spinach as it has a more delicate flavor. For four servings of creamed spinach you will need 1lb of fresh spinach. It will look like a huge mountain of spinach but it cooks down to a very small amount!
While it may not be traditional, the addition of cream cheese makes a the sauce rich and creamy and turns this into the go for seconds kind of creamed spinach!
How To Make Creamed Spinach
What makes this creamed spinach recipe a stand-out? This easy side dish recipe is easy to make, full of flavor and reheats well!
- Remove stems from spinach and chop.
- Cook spinach in a pan 3 minutes, drain.
- Heat sauce ingredients and seasonings.
- Stir in spinach and serve.
If you are using frozen spinach, be sure to thaw and squeeze dry so your dish isn’t watery! For fresh spinach, a good rule of thumb is to chop about 16 ounces of trimmed spinach to equal a standard 10 package of frozen spinach. Remove any tough stems before chopping.
More Veggie Sides You’ll Love
- Sauteed Brussel Sprouts
- Scalloped Potatoes Recipe – make ahead
- Glazed Carrots – easy
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Baked Zucchini
- Roasted Root Vegetables – set it and forget it!
- Classic Deviled Eggs Recipe – truly a classic!
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoning salt
- black pepper to taste
- Wash and dry spinach if using fresh. Remove any tough stems and roughly chop.
- Cook spinach in a pan with olive oil over medium heat until wilted and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and place in a strainer to drain.
- Add onion and butter to the pan and cook on medium low heat until onion is softened. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer while stirring until smooth. Simmer 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Squeeze any excess moisture out of the spinach. Add back to the pan and stir to combine. Heat through and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)