Creamed Spinach side is a wonderful addition to any holiday meal and the perfect side for any weeknight meal! It’s quick, easy and delicious!
What is Creamed Spinach?
Creamed spinach is a side dish often served with steaks or even Oven Baked Chicken Breasts. This recipe is a delicious combination of tender sweet spinach in a creamy sauce (and has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid)!
Creamed Spinach starts with fresh spinach (although you can use frozen), stems removed and chopped. I prefer the flavor of fresh spinach as it has a more delicate flavor. For four servings of creamed spinach you will need 1lb of fresh spinach. It will look like a huge mountain of spinach but it cooks down to a very small amount!
While it may not be traditional, the addition of cream cheese makes a the sauce rich and creamy and turns this into the go for seconds kind of creamed spinach!
How To Make Creamed Spinach
What makes this creamed spinach recipe a stand-out? This easy side dish recipe is easy to make, full of flavor and reheats well!
- Remove stems from spinach and chop.
- Cook spinach in a pan 3 minutes, drain.
- Heat sauce ingredients and seasonings.
- Stir in spinach and serve.
If you are using frozen spinach, be sure to thaw and squeeze dry so your dish isn’t watery! For fresh spinach, a good rule of thumb is to chop about 16 ounces of trimmed spinach to equal a standard 10 package of frozen spinach. Remove any tough stems before chopping.
More Veggie Sides You’ll Love
- Sauteed Brussel Sprouts
- Scalloped Potatoes Recipe – make ahead
- Glazed Carrots – easy
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Baked Zucchini
- Roasted Root Vegetables – set it and forget it!
- Classic Deviled Eggs Recipe – truly a classic!
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoning salt
- black pepper to taste
- Wash and dry spinach if using fresh. Remove any tough stems and roughly chop.
- Cook spinach in a pan with olive oil over medium heat until wilted and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and place in a strainer to drain.
- Add onion and butter to the pan and cook on medium low heat until onion is softened. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer while stirring until smooth. Simmer 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Squeeze any excess moisture out of the spinach. Add back to the pan and stir to combine. Heat through and serve.