Homemade recipe for blackening seasoning is perfect on chicken, fish or your favorite meats!
Making blackened seasoning at home with ingredients right from the spice cabinet means you can control the heat and spice levels to your liking.
What is Blackened Seasoning?
Blackening seasoning is a savory combination of spices, dried herbs, salt and pepper that’s rubbed directly on meat (and blackened fish). The seasonings cook into the brown sugar, creating a sweet and savory coating that is absolutely next level delicious!
SPICES Cumin, paprika, onion, garlic, and chili powder all add to the flavor of this seasoning.
SUGAR Brown sugar caramelizes with spices to create a ‘blackened’ look.
Feel free to create your own special signature blend! The spice mix can be switched up by changing the ingredients or amounts! Want some more heat? Add cayenne powder! Prefer it a little milder? Omit the chili powder and skip the cayenne.
How to Make Blackened Seasoning
This spice blend is super easy to mix up, and can keep on the shelf for up to 6 months!
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Store blackening seasoning in a spice jar or mason jar.
How To Use Blackening Seasoning
- For any kind of meat, pat it dry with a paper towel so the seasoning will stick. Coat the meat thoroughly and evenly before baking, roasting, grilling, or pan-frying.
- Use to season Tilapia or Salmon, or on roasted root vegetables!
- Perfect baked potatoes would taste great with blackened seasoning!
Tips for Storing Spices
- Spices don’t last forever and most will lose their potency after about 6 months.
- Each spice has a different expiration date, but to keep spices at their peak freshness, leave them in their original containers and keep them in a cupboard away from direct light or extreme temperatures.
More Homemade Spice Blends
- Fajita Seasoning – perfect for Mexican-night
- Chicken Seasoning – savory & a little spicy
- Seasoned Salt – tastes great on fries
- Cajun Seasoning – flavor with a kick
- Taco Seasoning Recipe – so much better than store-bought
- Chili Powder – simple spice blend
Did you use this Blackening Seasoning? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder optional
- Combine spices and brown sugar in a small bowl.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)