Blackened Tilapia – This is a delicious recipe for tilapia that is on the table in under 10 minutes! Perfect for a quick weeknight meal and so easy to make!
Blackened Tilapia is an easy and flavorful tilapia recipe that is on the table in just minutes! This recipe starts with tilapia but any white fish will work perfectly! I mix up a very simple blackened seasoning recipe and rub it over the outside of the fish. I give it a quick fry in a skillet (or put it into the oven for a few minutes) along with some lemon slices and voila, the perfect blackened fish!
How to Blacken Fish
I learned about blackened fish on a recent trip to New Orleans with some friends. We heard a bit about it on a food tour we took and then got to enjoy amazing blackened fish created for us by a chef in the hotel we stayed in.
What does blackened fish mean?
Blackened Fish was a made popular by chef Paul Prudhomme in New Orleans and for good reason. It’s very simple and delicious to make.
Blackening fish means brushing fish with butter and rubbing it with a blackened seasoning mixture. The fish is then usually fried in a cast iron pan (but you can make blackened tilapia in the oven as well).
Because of the butter and seasonings, the outside of the fish will turn a dark “blackened” color while keeping it tender and juicy inside.
What is Blackened Seasoning?
What to serve with Blackened Fish
Blackened tilapia is delicious served with a delicious creamy coleslaw, some Crock Pot Corn on the Cob, Simple Herb Oven Roasted Potatoes or a nice fresh Kale Salad with Fresh Lemon Dressing. I always add lemon to the pan to allow it to cook along with the blackened fish for great flavor (and sometimes serve a side of tartar sauce along with it)!
This blackened tilapia is a delicious option spice up our favorite Easy Fish Tacos as well!
More Fish Recipes You’ll Love
- Herb Crusted Baked Salmon
- Parmesan Broiled Tilapia –Popular!
- Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
- Honey Mustard Salmon
- One Pan Sesame Ginger Salmon & Broccoli – Easy family meal!
- Easy Baked Tilapia (or Cod) – Quick!
- 4 tilapia fillets or other white fish
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Combine seasonings & brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Rub seasoning over fish and pan fry or bake in the oven as directed below.
- Heat oil and butter in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the seasoned fish and a few of the lemon slices and cook 3 minutes per side or just until done (do not overcook).
- Serve with remaining lemon.
- Turn broiler onto high and place oven rack on the top.
- Line a pan with foil and add tilapia fillets and a few lemon slices. Broil for 3 minutes.
- Flip fish and additional 3-4 minutes until tender and flaky. Do not overcook. Serve with remaining lemon.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)