Roasted Root Vegetables are a great and simple recipe for a delicious side dish recipe all year long! Root vegetables (including sweet potatoes, parsnips, potatoes, carrots, turnips, or beets) are tossed with a bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of seasoning and roasted until golden!
This dish is perfect to serve alongside a steak, roasted chicken or even a perfectly roasted Pork Tenderloin!
How to Roast Root Vegetables
Roasted Root Vegetables are a simple to make, nutrient-packed side dish (like delicious deviled eggs too!), and with so many vegetable options it’s hard to get tired of them!
- Choose vegetables I use potatoes, sweet potatoes, red onion, and parsnips, but carrots, turnips, brussels sprouts and beets are all great choices
- Prep and chop Peel skins if desired (not required for potatoes or carrots) and chop all veggies so they’re similar in size. This helps them cook evenly.
- Oil and season Drizzle with oil and your favorite seasonings (I often use Italian seasoning).
- Roast and enjoy Place veggies on a baking sheet and cook at a high temperature until tender. So easy!
Vegetables for Roasting
Potatoes, sweet potatoes (or yams), carrots, parsnips, turnips, onions, and beets are all great root vegetables for oven roasting.
If you’re adding in other vegetables that cook quicker (such as bell peppers) they’re best added during the last 15 minutes or so.
How long to roast root vegetables?
This will vary depending on the size of your vegetables, but for this recipe (with vegetables cut to 1 ½” pieces and spread evenly over a baking sheet), they will take approximately 40-50 minutes to roast and cook on 400°F.
You will be able to tell that your vegetables are finished cooking if they are tender and soft inside when pierced with a fork.
Are roasted vegetables good reheated?
Absolutely! These roasted root vegetables make great leftovers heated in either the microwave or in the oven. You can also use any leftovers to make a roasted root vegetable salad. Simply place in a bowl and toss with your favorite dressing (or chop and add to a green salad). You could even add them to a delicious Creamy Potato Soup to give it even MORE flavor!
More Easy Roasted Veggies
- Roasted Vegetables with Smashed Garlic
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Roasted Green Beans
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Simple Roasted Turnips
Roasted Root Vegetables
- 3 pounds assorted root vegetables chopped into 1 ½” pieces
- 1 large red onion chopped into 1 ½” pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine all vegetables, onion, and minced garlic in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil, kosher salt, rosemary, and ground pepper.
- Stir well until all vegetables are coated (I find that it’s easiest to use my hands to toss the vegetables).
- Spread evenly over prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake on 400°F for 40-50 minutes, turning the vegetables with a spatula halfway through cooking.
- Vegetables are finished roasting once they are tender when pierced with a fork.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Please sign me up.
I did a mix of parsnips and golden beets. It is definitely taking longer than 50min. I’m at 60+ right now waiting on some of the pieces to be soft. They smell heavenly so I’m basing this review on the function of the recipe rather than the flavor.
I hadn’t added rosemary before but will from now on. It added just the right zip. By the way how old are you? You look 16. And you have 4 kids! Bet you are often mistaken for their sister.
OMGosh, thank you Jennifer. So sweet… you just made my day! xo
I need to give this a try!
yum! roast veggies are so so good! love them for the winter months especially!
I am going to make this one soon. Nice flavor and so easy.
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Roasted vegetables is the best way to eat them I think. There is so much you can do with them too, we love them in tacos.
Adding root veggies to tacos sounds like a delicious idea Dannii!
These roasted vegetables look so delicious! I love any roasted vegetable but I absolutely adore root veggies!! What a great recipe! I can’t wait to try them.
I hope you love the recipe!