Fajita Seasoning is a quick and easy way to give your cooking some South of the Border flair. This combination of classic Mexican herbs and spices is super simple to make and keeps in the pantry for months.
Smoked paprika is just one of the secret ingredients in this DIY seasoning mix that will give your fajitas that extra flavor bump. A little sugar adds a touch of sweetness to the heat and helps caramelize the meat or veggies in the fajitas as they cook.
Sure, you can easily find readymade fajita seasoning in stores. However, making your own allows you to adjust the ingredients and proportions according to your taste.
- Chili powder puts the emphasis on sweet paprika which is made from sweet peppers and is frequently used to flavor dishes like homemade chili of course!
- Taco seasoning is similar to fajita seasoning but is a bit bolder! This is great sprinkled on chicken or added to soups and of course in traditional ground beef tacos!
What to Use Fajita Seasoning For
This is an excellent fajita seasoning and can be used in just about any Tex-Mex recipe. Use it as a rub for steak or poultry, or add it into Spanish rice. Stir it into refried beans or sprinkle over buttered corn on the cob. Everything tastes better with a little fajita seasoning!
How Long Will It Last?
Chicken fajita seasoning will last up to six months. Store it in a tightly covered glass jar to ensure the herbs and aromatics retain their volatile oils. For best quality, keep it in a cool cupboard, not next to the stove.
The best thing about making your own seasoning mixes is that it allows you to unleash your creativity. Add more ingredients or subtract other, to bring as much, or as little heat or complexity, as you desire. Depending on your preference, consider adding or substituting oregano, celery salt, cocoa powder, turmeric, coriander or chipotle powder.
Who knows? You might wind up developing a signature fajita seasoning! It may even become a cherished family recipe for generations!
Easy Fajita Recipes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Store in a spice jar or an airtight container.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!