Air fryer chicken wings are extra crispy on the outside and juicy delicious on the inside!
A delicious alternative to deep-fried wings with heaps of flavor and crunch, these are the perfect snack for any occasion! Enjoy crisp with salt and pepper or toss in your favorite sauces!
A Note About Air Fryers
An air fryer is like a convection oven that circulates air in such a way that food not only cooks really fast, it can become extremely crisp and delicious!
There are different types of Air Fryers, the following are ones I’ve used:
- MY TOP PICK FOR AIR FRYERS is the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT. I love the large capacity of this air fryer, it’s a fairly reasonable price, easy to clean and cooks beautifully.
Other Air Fryers I have used:
- T-Fal Actifry 2-in-1 which works great for things like wings and fries but is not ideal for more delicate items. This air fryer tosses the items to help ensure even cooking and it also has a tray to set on top for cooking things like burgers or chicken breasts.
- Breville Smart Oven Air: This air fryer is very pricey but cooks a lot at once and can be used as a toaster oven, oven (even holds a 9×13 pan), slow cooker and an air fryer. I don’t find it works as well as an air fryer as the Cosori above.
You can find tons of other great Air Fryers on Amazon with great reviews.
Crispy Chicken Wings
What’s not to love? Even though you don’t use any oil, chicken wings in the air fryer are just as crispy on the outside and moist on the inside as deep-fried wings or baked wings.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Separate the flat part of the wing from the drummettes, snip off the tips, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Toss in a seasoned flour/baking powder mixture to coat.
- Place in a single layer in your air fryer and cook until the skin is sizzling crisp – about 20 minutes.
You can also make frozen wings in an air fryer, add 5-7 minutes extra cooking time.
How Long to Air Fry Chicken Wings
Air Fryer chicken wings take about 20 minutes (but clean up and heat up are so much easier than with oil)!
For frozen wings in the air fryer, add another 5 minutes to the cooking time! A thermometer inserted into the chicken wings should read 165°F. Make sure not to hit a bone, or the reading will be off.
Tips for Crispy Wings
- Pat the wings dry before cooking, liquid causes them to steam instead of crisp
- Gently toss with baking soda/flour and shake off any extra, this helps them crisp better.
- Shake for flip the wings every 6 minutes to allow all sides to brown evenly
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer. If needed, make a few smaller batches and then place them all back into the air fryer for 3 minutes to heat/crisp before serving.
Did you enjoy these Air Fryer Chicken Wings? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings split and tips removed
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Pat wings dry with a paper towel. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and toss with wings. Shake off any excess flour mixture.
- Place wings in the air fryer in a single layer.
- Bake wings 20-22 minutes or until skin is crisp.
- Remove wings from air fryer and top with additional salt and pepper or desired sauce.
Chicken Wing Wonders
- The BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip (video) – Truly the best!
- CrockPot Chicken Wings – So tender!
- Sticky Hot Chicken Wings Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad – Easy!
- Ranch Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings Recipe (Oven Baked) – Favorite recipe!