Extra cheesy & a little spicy, this Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip is fully loaded!
A creamy and cheesy ranch base is topped with shredded chicken, lots of buffalo sauce, and heaps of gooey cheese. It’s all baked until browned and bubbly for a game day favorite.
This is a delicious twist on a classic and great served with crostini or tortilla chips.
A Favorite Party Dip!
- Everyone loves a classic Buffalo Chicken Dip, and this Ranch-inspired twist is a game day favorite too!
- This dip can be prepared 48 hours in advance and baked before serving.
- Use leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken or even canned chicken if it’s what you have on hand.
- It’s easy to cook and serve warm from a Crockpot or slow cooker in place of the oven. (Instructions below.)
- Use store bought or even homemade ranch dressing.
Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip Ingredients
Use rotisserie chicken for this recipe to make prep really fast! Leftover Oven Baked Chicken Breasts or grilled chicken will also work well in this recipe. If you have frozen shredded chicken, use that!
The cheesy base is made with cream cheese, sour cream, and ranch dressing. Add some chopped celery for some great crunch, or swap out the ranch for blue cheese dressing. a completely different and delish variation. Add dry herbs if desired, or even some hot chilies.
Buffalo sauce is needed for the flavor and heat (did you know you can buy MILD buffalo sauce too)! Ensure you’re using buffalo sauce (and not just hot sauce) or mix up your own 2 ingredient Buffalo Sauce if you’ve only got hot sauce.
How to Make Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip
The flavor is epic—plus it comes together in just a few easy steps:
- Whip dairy ingredients and Ranch with green onions. Fold in the chicken and green onions.
- Toss cooked chicken with half the Buffalo Sauce, layer on top of the cheesy base.
- Drizzle with remaining sauce, top with cheese, & bake per recipe below.
PRO TIP: Use an electric hand mixer for a light fluffy dip that won’t break the chips!
In a Crock-Pot:
This dip is easy to make in a Crock-Pot too!
- Mix the ingredients as directed & place in the slow cooker.
- Top with cheese & turn it onto low for 3 hours or high for about 90 minutes.
- Once it’s hot & bubbly, turn to “warm” setting and serve from the crock, if desired. So easy!
*Times can vary slightly based on the size of the slow cooker.
- Fresh veggies such as celery, carrots, and cucumbers
- Tortilla chips
- Pita chips (made with homemade pita bread)
This tasty dip can be made ahead. Simply prepare it in an oven-proof dish and refrigerate. Let the dish come to room temperature, then bake when the guests arrive. Chicken dip will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Keep it covered until ready to use. Give it a stir, add some extra cheese, and reheat in the oven.
Delicious Game Day Dips!
- Mississippi Sin Dip – baked in a bread bowl
- Easy Spinach Dip – perfect for any party
- Beer Cheese Dip – an easy, cheesy appetizer!
- Quick Creamy Artichoke Dip – ready in 15 minutes
- Sausage Cheese Dip – loaded with flavor
Did the crowd love this Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded chicken cooked
- 1 cup buffalo sauce divided
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, ranch dressing, ½ cup of the buffalo sauce, and green onions with a mixer on medium speed. Spread in a a pie plate or small casserole dish (2qt).
- Place chicken over the cream cheese mixture and drizzle with the remaining ½ cup buffalo sauce.
- Top with cheeses and bake 20-25 minutes or until hot & bubbly. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
My family couldn’t get a enough it was amazing thanks spend Pennie’s
My family couldn’t get a enough of it had to make another batch the next day thanks spend Pennie’s
I love this dip! I have made it several times – my husband and his friends always request it when they go on trips
Made this for a work pot luck and it was a hit.
Can you use canned chicken?
You definitely can! We love making this classic buffalo chicken dip with canned chicken too.
Has anyone ever done this without buffalo sauce?
Could I do in a crock pot, instead?
That would work perfectly.
I made this for my friend’s Facebook recipe party she’s hosted last year and this year. I chose this recipe over several other buffalo chicken dip recipes because it looked yummy and it was very simple and didn’t require a long bake time. It went over really well. Of course there are always gonna be people who can’t handle spicy food so you can’t please everyone. I guess you can always use less wing sauce for those people. Lol But I loved it! I’ll definitely will be making it again!!
I’m so glad to hear that it was such a hit at your parties Lisa! Thank you for sharing, and thank you for enjoying Spend With Pennies recipes!
The ranch…is it a powder or like a sauce you buy?
This recipe uses the salad dressing.
Shredded chicken? Like from a rotisserie or chicken breast?
You can use shredded chicken from a rotisserie or make poached chicken.
Can I use shrimp or crab or not as good
I haven’t tried it but I think it’d be delicious with shrimp! Let us know how it is if you make it!
I made this for Christmas appetizer went over great, will make it again.
So glad everyone enjoyed it!
Can I assemble ahead of time?
Yes, this is perfect prepped ahead.
What is buffalo sauce?
Buffalo sauce is the hot sauce often found on Hot Chicken Wings and is sold in the hot sauce aisle. Frank’s Red Hot makes a great one. You can combine 1/2 cup melted butter with ⅔ cup hot sauce and a dash of garlic powder to make your own.
Yeah…layered is the only way to make Buffalo Chicken Dip. The ones where everything is all mixed together aren’t nearly as good. I top half with cheddar and half with blue.
I prefer it layered too! Love the idea of half cheddar and half blue!
“Combine cream cheese, sour cream & ranch. Spread into the bottom of a pie plate or small casserole dish. Toss chicken with ½ cup buffalo sauce.
Top with chicken and drizzle with remaining buffalo sauce.”
For step 2, do I mix the chicken and buffalo sauce with the cream cheese, sour cream and ranch? Or just put it on top?
I just put it on top.
what temp is the oven supposed to be set at??
Hi Courtney, you can find this in step 1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Enjoy!
Does this recipe make enough to use a 13 x 9 glass pan or would that be too big?
That would be too big. A deep dish pie plate would be a better size for this recipe.
Can u microwave it??
Yes, you can definitely microwave this recipe.