Easy Chicken Fajitas
How to Make Easy Chicken Fajitas
Pin now to save it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
We love fajitas in our house! Not only are they delicious, they are healthy too!
These Easy Chicken Fajitas are the perfect weeknight meal because they’re on the table in about 20 minutes start to finish! I used a combination of red and yellow peppers and also added in a sliced poblano pepper as well as it was what I had on hand! These are quite forgiving so you can add in whatever you like!
Because I serve this as a family meal, I usually soak the onions in cold water while I prep the rest of the ingredients. This seems to take a bit of the “bite” out of them and my kids prefer them that way. It’s best not to overcrowd the pan with the chicken so this recipe calls for it to be cooked in two batches. If your pan is extra large, you can certainly cook it all at once.
We top ours with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream… but you can get creative with the toppings making it a fun family meal! Olives, shredded veggies such as carrots or cabbage, guacamole or avocados, they all making amazing toppings!
These fit perfectly into the 21 Day Fix plan as well if you follow it (just be sure to use corn tortillas and use 1 teaspoon less oil) and they’re perfect if you’re a Weight Watcher!! 21 Day Fix count is 1 red (chicken), 1 green (peppers & onion) and 1 yellow (2 small corn tortillas). This excludes any toppings you may add (cheese, sour cream etc.)
Easy Chicken Fajitas
These Easy Chicken Fajitas are the perfect weeknight meal because they’re on the table in about 20 minutes start to finish! I used a combination of red and yellow peppers and also added in a sliced poblano pepper as well as it was what I had on hand!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lime
- 3 bell peppers , red, yellow, green or orange
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
- Cut onion into slivers & slice peppers.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, juice of 1/2 lime, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, pepper, cumin and salt. Cut chicken into strips and toss with the spice mixture.
- Preheat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high. Add 1/2 of the chicken and cook until just cooked, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Set chicken aside and add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Drain onions well and cook 2 minutes. Add in sliced peppers and cook an additional 2 minutes or just until hot. Add chicken back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Squeeze additional lime overtop and serve over tortillas.
Optional: If I am serving these to kids, I find soaking the onions in cold water for a bit takes a bit of the “bite” out of them.
A few more recipes you’ll love…
Amber at Dessert Now Dinner Later has a wonderful recipe for Homemade Flour Tortillas (I can’t wait to give them a try)!