Skillet Shrimp Fajitas are super easy to put together and bursting with flavour.
Made with a homemade fajita seasoning and wrapped in tortillas, these quick shrimp fajitas are the perfect weeknight meal!
How to Make Shrimp Fajitas
While some recipes make the shrimp blackened for fajitas, or to make a shrimp fajitas sauce, this is a one pan dish that starts with making your own fajita seasoning, and that’s what makes these shrimp fajitas tasty! I make my own by combining paprika, chipotle powder, onion powder cumin and oregano. It’s really easy to make if you have all the ingredients on hand. If you don’t have chipotle powder (which I love because it adds a delicious smoky flavour), just add some adobo sauce.
Once you have your fajita seasoning, the peppers and onions are cooked with garlic in a large cast iron skillet. I prefer using a cast iron skillet because the heavy bottom retains heat. This ensures even cooking and cooks the peppers and shrimp pretty fast.
As soon as the peppers are cooked, I just move them to a side of the pan and cook the shrimp in the same pan. Or if you don’t have a large enough pan, you can always take the peppers out and cook the shrimp.
You can use either medium sized or large shrimp for this recipe. Make sure to devein the shrimp and we prefer to take the tail off as well. This makes it easy to consume when wrapped in a tortilla. Cilantro is an absolute must because it adds freshness to the dish.
What do you serve with Shrimp Fajitas?
You can serve these Shrimp Fajitas wrapped in tortillas or serve them with rice and beans. We always top either shrimp or Chicken Fajitas with a dollop of guacamole or sour cream too.
Shrimp Fajitas are truly a Tex-Mex food, and who doesn’t love Tex-Mex? We make Mexican food at least a couple times a week because it’s so easy to put together and has so much flavour. Like these skillet shrimp fajitas which take less than 30 minutes to put together. Shrimp cooks really fast, and doesn’t need to be pre-seasoned or marinated. So you save time there as well.
Let’s just say that the next time you are wondering what to make for dinner and have a hungry bunch of people staring at you, these skillet shrimp fajitas will be the perfect option! They are fast, easy and so tasty!
I hope you love them as much as I do!
SKILLET SHRIMP FAJITAS
- 2 Tablespoons Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cumin Powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion sliced
- 3 cups sliced Bell Peppers I used red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 pound large Shrimp deveined and peeled
- Cilantro lime, sour cream and guacamole for topping
- Tortillas for serving
- Mix together paprika, chipotle powder, cumin powder, oregano, onion powder and salt in a bowl to make fajita seasoning.
- Add half of the seasoning to the shrimp and mix till it’s coated well. Set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large cast iron skillet and add the onions and bell peppers. Saute for 4-5 minutes till the vegetables have softened slightly. Add the remaining seasoning and mix well. Slide the vegetables to one side of the skillet.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and add the shrimp. Cook the shrimp for 3-4 minutes until they are pink and cooked through.
- Serve in tortillas with your favourite toppings.
More Recipes You’ll Love