Oven Fajitas are a delicious and fresh meal that is easy to prep and loaded with flavor. Chicken, onion and bell peppers are seasoned with a simple spice mixture and cooked in the oven until the peppers are tender crisp. These are perfect piled high in a tortilla and topped with your favorite toppings.
All Time Favorite
Fajitas is one of my all time favorite meals! I love it with either chicken, beef or shrimp and will happily roll them in either flour or corn tortillas!
During the summer we always make Grilled Chicken Fajitas but in the colder months we don’t always want to stand outside in the snow and grill so I make these baked oven fajitas.
We use fresh ingredients (and no store bought seasoning packets) making this a healthy meal that my whole family loves.
Homemade Fajitas Mix
This recipe starts with sliced onion, chicken, seasonings and tomatoes. I find that slicing my chicken while it’s partially defrosted makes the job much easier!
The mixture is then baked in the oven, adding in the bell peppers in towards the end of cooking (to keep them tender crisp and not soggy). If you prefer a softer pepper, you can certainly add them in sooner to cook them a little bit longer.
Once done, a quick squeeze of fresh lime (and a sprinkle of cilantro if you like it) makes these fajitas pop with flavor!
If you’re lucky enough to have any leftovers, they make amazing quesadillas the next day for lunch or are perfect on a salad with a dressing of salsa and sour cream (or greek yogurt).
Not mention, these are just naturally healthy and they’re 21 day fix approved (container counts are below) and WW friendly.
Note: 21 day fix counts are 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 red and 1 oil. You will use 2 corn tortillas (1 yellow), fill your green container with bell peppers and your red container with chicken. If you add additional veggies on top, you will count those as additional green containers.
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips (about 3 chicken breast halves)
- 1 onion , sliced
- 5-6 cups sliced bell peppers (about 3 peppers)
- 1 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with chiles (mild or hot)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper to taste
- flour or corn tortillas for serving
- Sour cream
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain tomatoes well. Stir together chicken, onion, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, seasoning salt, olive oil and pepper. Place in a 9x13 pan and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in bell peppers. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and squeeze lime over the mixture.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas according to package directions .
- Serve chicken mixture in tortillas with desired toppings.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love