Oven Fajitas are a delicious and fresh meal that is easy to prep and loaded with flavor. Chicken, onions, and bell peppers are seasoned with a simple spice mixture and cooked in the oven until the peppers are tender-crisp.
Why Make Fajitas in the Oven?
Chicken Fajitas is one of my all-time favorite meals! I should say ANY fajitas including steak or shrimp! Oven chicken fajitas are tender when and so flavorful as the veggies are added and everything cooks together all in one dish!
So just toss the ingredients together, pop in the oven and walk away for an easy, quick, and mess-free dish!
How to Make Oven Fajitas
This recipe starts with sliced onion, chicken, seasonings, and tomatoes. I find that slicing chicken while it’s partially defrosted makes the job much easier!
- Mix together all ingredients per the recipe below (except peppers) in a casserole dish.
- Place casserole dish in the oven and bake about 15 minutes. Add the bell peppers and bake another 10 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas (corn or flour) per package directions and fill as desired!
Once done, a quick squeeze of fresh lime (and a sprinkle of cilantro) makes these fajitas pop with flavor!
My Favorite Fajitas Toppings
Fajitas really lend themselves to all kinds of creative mix-ins! Create a platter of colorful mix-ins and let everyone help themselves! Here are some of my favorites below!
- Beans: black beans, pinto, pinquito, or refried beans
- Rice: brown or white rice (seasoned)
- Cheese: cheddar, Monterey Jack, Cotija
- Sauce: sour cream, guacamole, salsa
- Veggies: potatoes, zucchini
- Additional Toppings: sliced black olives & jalapenos, green chiles, pepitas (toasted pumpkin seeds)
If you’re lucky enough to have any leftovers, they make amazing quesadillas the next day for lunch or are perfect on a salad with a dressing of salsa and sour cream (or greek yogurt).
Delicious Mexican Inspired Dishes
- Taco Tater Tot Casserole – my favorite for taco night!
- Cheesy Oven Baked Tacos – only 6 base ingredients!
- Black Bean and Corn Salad – ready in 20 mins
- Southwest Avocado Salad – colorful, filling, & nutritious!
- Taco Lasagna – spicy twist on a classic dish
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips (about 3 chicken breast halves)
- 1 onion sliced
- 5-6 cups sliced bell peppers (about 3 peppers)
- 1 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with chiles (mild or hot)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper to taste
- flour or corn tortillas for serving
- Sour cream
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Drain tomatoes well. Stir together chicken, onion, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, seasoning salt, olive oil, and pepper. Place in a 9x13 pan and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in bell peppers. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and squeeze lime over the mixture.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Serve chicken mixture in tortillas with desired toppings.