Grilled Chicken Fajitas are a summertime version of our favorite Chicken Fajita recipe! Tender juicy chicken breasts in a homemade fajita marinade are grilled to perfection and served along with bell peppers and onions.
A Mexican Favorite
Everyone loves to see the server bring that sizzling pan of seasoned grilled chicken fajitas to the table, surrounded by strips of red and green bell peppers and onions.
These delicious chicken fajitas are made on the grill, so they’re quick and perfect for a busy weeknight or a hot summer evening! (This recipe works great for beef or steak fajitas too)! We load them up with cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and jalapeños!
How to Make Grilled Chicken Fajitas
These healthy chicken fajitas are seasoned with delicious fresh ingredients like cilantro, lime juice, garlic and cumin.
Fajita Marinade: Whisk all the ingredients until smooth and add half to the chicken and half of the vegetables and marinate two hours (or longer). If you’d like to make extra, you can even freeze the chicken right in the marinade and once defrosted it can go straight to the grill!
Peppers: To make the peppers easy to grill, cut them into halves or quarters so you can handle them without having them slip through the grates. Once they’re done, cut them into strips.
Onions: For the onion, I halve it and cut strips while leaving the root intact (almost how you’d cut a bloomin’ onion) and grill it that way. It cooks through beautifully and there are no little pieces slipping through the grill.
To Grill Chicken Fajitas
- Preheat the grill to medium heat and cook the chicken on both sides about 5-7 minutes.
- Add vegetables and grill until tender crisp.
- Slice the chicken, peppers, and onions into strips and serve with your favorite toppings in tender tortillas.
Toppings for Chicken Fajitas
The toppings for chicken fajitas are endless! I try to add a combination of creamy, spicy, crunchy and colorful!
- Creamy: cheese, sour cream/crema, avocado
- Fresh: lettuce/cabbage, tomatoes, radish, cilantro
- Spicy: salsa, jalapenos, pico de gallo
- Flavorful: olives, green onions, lime wedges,
Serve this easy favorite with a great marinated corn salad or even something simple like chips and salsa or guacamole, just like they do at your favorite neighborhood Mexican restaurant! Ole!
More Mexican Favorites
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas – Personal favorite
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos – 30 minute meal
- Easy Fish Tacos – Healthy and easy
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – One pot meal
- Beef Enchilada Casserole – comfort food favorite
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 bell peppers halved
- 1 green bell pepper halved
- 1 white onion sliced (see note)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 6" flour or corn tortillas
- toppings as desired
- Whisk all marinade ingredients until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 of the marinade over the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Pour remaining 1/2 of the marinade over the vegetables and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Cook chicken 7-8 minutes per side or until cooked through and chicken reaches 165°F. Add vegetables to the grill and cook just until tender crisp.
- Slice chicken and peppers.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Fill tortillas with chicken, grilled peppers and desired toppings.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love