Sweet Potato Soup is a savory, creamy, and easy soup recipe. The whole family will love this hearty and heartwarming fall favorite after a long day of work, school, and sports.
Creamy soups like potato soup, pumpkin soup, or creamy carrot soup are perfect for fall! Especially when served with a slice of garlic bread for dipping.
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup
For the best homemade version, use the best ingredients, luckily, they are all easy to find and affordable too!
- Cook the onion, garlic, and celery in butter until until they are tender and lightly browned.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, apple, warm spices and salt and pepper to taste (per recipe below).
- Pour in the chicken (or vegetable) broth, cover the pan and simmer until the potatoes are completely soft.
- Remove ginger and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
No Immersion Blender? No problem, you can puree hot soup in a blender. Be sure to work in small batches to avoid overfilling and a possible hot soup splatter!
- Carefully pour about two cups of hot soup in a blender and blend until it’s the consistency you prefer.
- Return the soup to the stock pot or pan and carefully whisk in the heavy cream.
Simmer and serve garnished with croutons and bacon bits.
How Long Will it Last?
Most cream-style soups will last about a week in the refrigerator as long as they are tightly covered to keep them from absorbing odors or flavors from other items.
Be sure to stir it thoroughly and refresh the flavor with a dash of salt and pepper and it will be good as new!
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Soup?
You sure can, and it is so easy to do!
- After it is completely cooled, ladle it into freezer bags and write the date on the outside.
- Freeze the soup flat or, pour the soup into airtight freezer containers! Don’t forget to label!
If freezing flat, once it is frozen, you can stand it upright (imagine books in a bookcase) to save space in the freezer.
Perfect Soup for Colder Weather
- Baked Potato Soup – ready in 30 mins!
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup – great freezer meal
- Creamy Carrot Soup – easy, healthy & delicious
- Pumpkin Soup – perfect fall soup!
- Potato Leek Soup – ultimate comfort food!
Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potato peeled and cubed, about 4 cups
- 1 apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 inch ginger root peeled
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 slices bacon cooked & crumbled, optional garnish
- 1 handful croutons optional garnish
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped, optional garnish
- Cook onion, garlic and celery in butter until tender.
- Add sweet potatoes, apple, curry powder, ginger and salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir in chicken broth, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Remove ginger and puree soup in a blender or with a hand blender.
- Add heavy cream and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Top with crumbled bacon, croutons and chives.
- Curry powder can be replaced with a cinnamon stick. Remove cinnamon stick before pureeing.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper for a bit of heat.
- To make this dairy free, replace heavy cream with full fat coconut milk.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Best ever! Love this recipe. My kids love it too. Bacon and croutons on top take it up a notch.
I am so happy to hear this recipe was a hit Erin!
Delicious! Filling and so much flavour! I added a teaspoon of garam masala for a bit more sweetness and it came out amazing. Will be making this again
So happy to hear that, Tania! Glad you enjoyed it.
Best sweet potato soup ever :) Enjoyed every spoonful!
So happy to hear that, Marisa! Glad you enjoyed this recipe.
Fantastic recipe, the only different thing I did was cooked my bacon in a Sautee pan, then stir fried the onions celery and garlic in the bacon juice for 1 min before transferring it to the butter in pot. I used natural uncured bacon, less salt and fat.
Yummy Ed! That sounds delicious.
So good! I left ginger in and it was chopped up enough in the food processor.
I work in a restaurant and received a bag of instant mashed sweet potatoes. Could i use this in place of the fresh ones? And, if so, what would the ratio be? Thank you
Hi Dana, I have never tried this recipe with instant mashed sweet potatoes but I am very interested to hear how it turns out!
I made the sweet potato soup a few days ago and it was delicious. Both my husband and I loved it!
I used the full fat coconut milk and cayenne pepper as you mentioned in your notes.
With the suggested toppings it was wonderful. Filling but not heavy.
So glad you shared this recipe.
I’m so glad you both loved it Bobbi!