Sweet Potato Soup is a savory, creamy, and easy soup recipe. The whole family will love this hearty and heartwarming fall favorite after a long day of work, school, and sports.
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup
For the best homemade version, use the best ingredients, luckily, they are all easy to find and affordable too!
- Cook the onion, garlic, and celery in butter until until they are tender and lightly browned.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, apple, warm spices and salt and pepper to taste (per recipe below).
- Pour in the chicken (or vegetable) broth, cover the pan and simmer until the potatoes are completely soft.
- Remove ginger and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
No Immersion Blender? No problem, you can puree hot soup in a blender. Be sure to work in small batches to avoid overfilling and a possible hot soup splatter!
- Carefully pour about two cups of hot soup in a blender and blend until it’s the consistency you prefer.
- Return the soup to the stock pot or pan and carefully whisk in the heavy cream.
How Long Will it Last?
Most cream-style soups will last about a week in the refrigerator as long as they are tightly covered to keep them from absorbing odors or flavors from other items.
Be sure to stir it thoroughly and refresh the flavor with a dash of salt and pepper and it will be good as new!
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Soup?
You sure can, and it is so easy to do!
- After it is completely cooled, ladle it into freezer bags and write the date on the outside.
- Freeze the soup flat or, pour the soup into airtight freezer containers! Don’t forget to label!
If freezing flat, once it is frozen, you can stand it upright (imagine books in a bookcase) to save space in the freezer.
Perfect Soup for Colder Weather
- Baked Potato Soup – ready in 30 mins!
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup – great freezer meal
- Creamy Carrot Soup – easy, healthy & delicious
- Pumpkin Soup – perfect fall soup!
- Potato Leek Soup – ultimate comfort food!
Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potato peeled and cubed, about 4 cups
- 1 apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 inch ginger root peeled
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 slices bacon cooked & crumbled, optional garnish
- 1 handful croutons optional garnish
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped, optional garnish
- Cook onion, garlic and celery in butter until tender.
- Add sweet potatoes, apple, curry powder, ginger and salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir in chicken broth, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Remove ginger and puree soup in a blender or with a hand blender.
- Add heavy cream and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Top with crumbled bacon, croutons and chives.
- Curry powder can be replaced with a cinnamon stick. Remove cinnamon stick before pureeing.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper for a bit of heat.
- To make this dairy free, replace heavy cream with full fat coconut milk.