This ham and bean soup is an easy meal to make and the perfect way to enjoy a leftover ham bone.
With no soaking required, this recipe takes just minutes to prepare and cooks in the slow cooker to create a delicious and hearty meal!
Serve it with a piece of cornbread or a crusty loaf for dipping.
I am excited to have partnered with Hurst’s HamBeens® 15 BEAN SOUP® to bring you this belly-warming bean soup recipe.
Hearty Homestyle Goodness
- A hearty family meal, this Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup recipe is easy to prepare.
- This simple soup requires few ingredients, starting with Hurst’s® HamBeens® 15 Bean Soup®, onions, and ham – no soaking required.
- Budget friendly, this soup can be made with leftover ham, a ham bone, smoked turkey, or a ham hock.
- This soup freezes and reheats well.
Ingredients for Ham and Bean Soup
Beans – This ham and bean starts with a mixture of dried beans. I love Hurst’s® HamBeens® 15 Bean Soup® for the variety of beans, quality, and flavor. It includes great northern beans, navy beans, and more. You can find them in the dry bean section of almost any grocery store or order them online.
Seasoning – Each bag of Hurst’s 15 Bean Soup comes with a vegetable-based seasoning packet to add great flavor. The seasoning packet can be replaced with bouillon if needed. I don’t add additional seasonings but you can add dried herbs or bay leaves if you’d like.
Vegetables – I use canned tomatoes (drained), you can also use canned tomatoes with chilis to add a little bit of spice or heat to this ham and bean soup. Sliced celery or carrots can be added.
Ham for Bean Soup
If you have a leftover ham bone from baked ham, this a favorite way to enjoy it.
If you don’t have a ham bone, ask your local butcher or deli for either ham bones (they are usually really inexpensive) or ham hocks. If you don’t have either, leftover chopped ham works beautifully in this recipe, too.
How to Make Ham and Bean Soup
- Rinse beans and add to the slow cooker with onions, ham, broth, and seasonings (per the recipe below).
- Cook on high 5 hours (or low for 7-8) or until beans are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cook for additional 30 minutes.
- Easy peasy! Serve warm with cornbread for dipping.
Tips for Bean Soup
- Rinse beans well and check for any debris. No soaking is needed when using a slow cooker.
- If you have already soaked the beans, you can reduce the liquid in the recipe by 1 cup.
- IMPORTANT: Add acidic ingredients (such as canned tomatoes or lemon juice) after the beans have softened (these ingredients can sometimes interfere with rehydration).
- For a thinner consistency, add one extra cup of broth or water to your slow cooker. If you’d like a thicker bean soup you can remove a cup or so of the beans, blend them, and add them back into the soup.
We love this Ham and Bean soup served as is out of the Crock Pot with a big piece of moist cornbread. It can also be served over a bowl of rice too!
Fridge: Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezer: This ham and bean soup recipe makes a large batch and it freezes well. I divide it into individual portions so it’s easy to thaw as many portions as needed. Thaw in the fridge overnight and heat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Did your family love this Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Crock Pot Ham and Bean Soup
- 1 package Hurst’s® HamBeens® 15 Bean Soup®
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 leftover ham bone with meat or ham hocks, diced ham or 1 lb. cooked sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder optional
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 lemon juiced
- Optional: Hot sauce or crushed red pepper to taste
- Rinse the beans and drain. Sort any unwanted debris and set seasoning packet aside.
- Place beans, onions, ham bone (or diced ham), broth/water, garlic cloves, and chili powder in a 6qt slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours (or low for 7-8) or until beans are tender.
- Once the beans are tender, remove the hambone (if used), chop any meat left on the bone, and add it back to the pot.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, Ham Flavor packet, and lemon juice.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
I am excited to have partnered with Hurst’s HamBeens® 15 BEAN SOUP® to bring you this belly warming recipe. While I was compensated for this post, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Working with great brands I love allows me to keep bringing you the great recipes you love!