Southwest Avocado Salad is a colorful, filling, and nutritious entrée or side salad. Avocados and beans are tossed with our favorite veggies like, corn, peppers, and onions and drizzled with a delicious and easy cilantro vinaigrette.
Ripe avocados are one of my favorite snacks served with a bit of feta, salt and rice vinegar or even as Avocado Toast. They’re easy to prep and loaded with healthy fats.
- BUYING: Choose avocados that yield to gentle pressure but aren’t mushy. I try to buy a couple days ahead of time so they can ripen.
- CUTTING: Cut avocados just before serving as they can brown quickly. I cut them right in the peel and scoop out with a spoon.
- PREP: I usually add them right to the bowl and give a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to keep them from browning.
To Make Avocado Salad
A crispy, crunchy collection of colorful veggies, savory black beans, creamy avocados and a generous helping of cotija cheese! I prefer to use grilled corn in this recipe as I love the smoky flavor it adds. If you don’t have time to grill, you can place your corn under a broiler for a couple of minutes.
- Dressing: Combine all ingredients. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.
- Prep Veggies: Dice all veggies into uniform pieces. To make quick work of this I love using my favorite chopper!
- Combine: Place all ingredients in a large bowl and drizzle with dressing.
Top with Cotija cheese (or feta) and tortilla strips. Serve immediately.
Serve This With…
Keep the theme going with the addition of soft, warm corn or flour tortillas for scooping the salad up and eating taco-style. Or, you can top a bed of shredded greens with avocado salad and add a little more dressing, or salsa and sour cream.
How Long Will it Last in the Fridge?
Sadly avocado doesn’t keep so well. This Avocado Salad is best prepped right before serving. If you’d like to make it last longer, combine everything except the avocado and refrigerate 3 to 5 days.
To refresh, simply give it a stir, and add in the avocado with a little bit of fresh lime juice and salt and pepper.
More Avocado Awesomeness
- Tomato Avocado Salad
- Avocado Salmon Salad
- Avocado Ranch Chicken Salad Wrap
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
Southwest Avocado Salad
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cob of corn grilled or 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 medium bell pepper diced (red or orange)
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese or feta cheese
- 1/2 cup crispy tortilla strips optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- To make the dressing, combine 1 tablespoon lime juice with olive oil, chili powder, cumin and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cut avocados in half, remove the pit and dice. Toss with 2 teaspoons remaining lime juice.
- Place remaining ingredients in a bowl except for the cheese and tortilla strips. Drizzle with dressing and toss.
- Top with cheese & tortilla strips and serve.