The simple things in life are often the best, and Avocado Toast is a great example of that. But there’s one little cheffy trick to step up your avocado toast game that makes all the difference…..
I LOVE avocado season. When avocados are in their prime, when they’re so beautifully creamy and they’re so affordable.
And of all the ways with avocado, this simple Avocado Toast recipe is definitely my favourite. And it certainly helps that it takes mere minutes to make.
How do I make Avocado Toast?
You may well know how to make avocado toast – slice bread, toast, mush avocado on toast, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Yes, it can be that simple. A drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon or lime will give it an extra edge. I even enjoy avocado toast with egg!
But if you want to really up your Avocado Toast game, rub the toast with garlic.
This is a a little cheffy trick that I picked up over the years from watching cooking shows.
It doesn’t make the toast garlicky, in fact, you can barely taste the garlic. It’s much like how your favourite Spaghetti Bolognese starts with sautéed onion and garlic. You can’t specifically taste it at the end, but if it’s not there, then the Bolognese just doesn’t taste as good.
It’s the same with Avocado Toast. It just gives it that extra little flavour edge and quite often, people can’t put their finger on it. They just know it’s better than the any Avocado Toast they’ve ever had! :-)
Is Avocado Toast good for you?
Another bonus is that Avocado Toast calories are healthy calories! Avocados provide healthy fats to help fill you up. While sourdough is my favourite choice, you can serve Avocado Toast on grain bread, or any bread you prefer to make it even healthier.
Do you put butter on avocado toast? I don’t, and instead of butter, I keep my avocado toast healthy and rely on the healthy fats in the avocado and olive oil.
Other than my little special garlic trick, my only advice is to make sure you use ripe avocados. There’s no other flavours or seasonings to hide behind with Avocado Toast, it’s all about the avocado.
So reserve it for those times when you’ve got really great ones.
MORE AVOCADO RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Southwest Salad with Lime Vinaigrette – perfect avocados make this a perfect dinner!
- Avocado Dressing and Dip
- Avocado Ranch Chicken Salad Wrap – a great lunch option
- Avocado Pasta Salad – easy and filling!
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 avocado ripe
- 2 slices bread of choice sourdough is my favorite
- 1 garlic clove cut in half (skin on)
- Extra virgin olive oil good quality
- Salt and pepper
- lemon juice optional, from a fresh lemon is best
- Finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- Cut avocado in half and remove seed.
- Toast bread to your taste, using your method of choice.
- While toast is still hot, lightly rub the surface with the cut side of the garlic clove.
- Use a spoon to scoop avocado flesh out, then a fork to mush it onto the toast.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Squeeze over a bit of lemon juice, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with cilantro or parsley. Serve immediately!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE