Tender and flavorful BBQ grilled shrimp kabobs are so easy to make.
These shrimp skewers are paired with juicy pineapple and green onion in a quick sweet and spicy sauce.
Pair them with grilled veggies and rice for a perfect summer meal.
Grilled Shrimp Kabobs
- This shrimp recipe is full of flavor and definitely customizable!
- Make meat or veggie kabobs, or a combination of both. Use whatever’s on hand.
- These kabobs are convenient and time-saving! Quick to prepare and cook, they’re ideal for easy weeknight meals or gatherings.
- Shrimp is nutritious and low-carb! Pair with your fave veggies, a side salad or grilled corn on the cob for a healthy meal.
Ingredients for Shrimp Kabobs
Shrimp – Choose jumbo or colossal-sized shrimp that are clean, peeled, and deveined. You can choose tails off or on.
Pineapple – Use fresh pineapple chunks or canned chunks that have been drained and patted dry.
Sauce – This is a simple sauce make from barbecue sauce, garlic and sambal oelek or chili paste for a little heat. You can DIY homemade barbecue sauce and add more or less sambal (chili paste) to your preference. For added sweetness, add a tablespoon of honey.
Variations & Additions
Shrimp cooks very quickly so if adding other ingredients ensure they’re quick cooking or par-cooked.
- Add slices of summer sausage.
- Wrap the pineapple in a small piece of pre-cooked bacon.
- Add extra vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, or bell peppers (ensure they’re thinly cut so they cook quickly).
How to Make Shrimp Kabobs
- Thread marinated shrimp, pineapple, and green onions onto skewers.
- Allow the shrimp kabobs to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Grill shrimp kabobs on medium-high heat until opaque (about 6-8 minutes). Serve immediately.
Tips for Great Kabobs
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before using so they don’t burn on the grill.
- Keep shrimp, pineapple, or any variations cut to the same size so everything cooks uniformly.
- For perfect grilling, keep the heat at a medium-high and keep an eye on the skewers as shrimp tend to cook very quickly.
- For multiple batches, keep cooked skewers in the oven covered in foil so they don’t dry out.
Did your family love these Shrimp Kabobs? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh pineapple cut into chunks, or canned pineapple chunks
- 2 green onions cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or chili paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Thread shrimp, pineapple, and green onions on metal or wood skewers.
- In a small bowl, stir together barbecue sauce, garlic, and sambal oelek. Brush over the skewers and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Grill the shrimp skewers for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.