This Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe starts with a layer of caramelized pineapple rings and maraschino cherries, topped with an incredibly moist vanilla cake layer. Baked and flipped, it creates an impressive presentation!
How to Make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake
This Pineapple Upside Down Cake is made entirely from scratch, but I promise you it’s worth it.
This easy cake recipe is made with just a bowl and a whisk. There is no mixer required, making it quick and easy to whip up, almost as quickly a boxed cake mix shortcut!
- Add melted butter and brown sugar to the bottom pan or pie plate (you can also use a square pan, it will just have a less traditional look).
- Arrange pineapple slices and cherries over the bottom (and the sides if you want), in a pattern you like!
- Mix vanilla cake batter and spread it over top the fruit, being careful not to disturb them.
- Bake until golden.
Once slightly cooled it’s time to flip and let all of that glorious caramelized fruit show!
How to Store Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Homemade Pineapple Upside Down Cake can be stored at room temperature for several hours, but I recommend refrigerating if not serving soon after baking. The fruit and the extra moisture in the cake mean that its shelf life is less than regular cake and buttercream.
There are two options to make this cake ahead:
- Before Baking: Prepare up to the point of baking, then cover and refrigerate up to 2 days before baking.
- To serve, follow the baking instructions below!
- After Baking: Prepare and bake completely, but leave it in the pan. Cool to room temperature, cover, and refrigerate for 3 days or freeze up to 3 days.
- To serve, thaw (if frozen), and warm in a 300°F oven for 15-20 minutes just until heated through. Flip and serve.
More Pineapple Treats You’ll Love
- Pineapple Coconut Cake – light, fresh & fruity
- Pineapple Angel Food Cake – just 3 ingredients!
- Pineapple Coconut Rice Krispie Squares – ready in 15 mins!
- Pineapple Crisp – perfect for pineapple lovers!
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6-7 slices pineapple
- 5 maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place butter in 9" round cake pan or pie plate and put in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F allowing the butter to melt in the pan while warming.
- Remove the pan from the oven once the butter has melted. Stir in brown sugar (you can do this right in the pan!).
- Arrange pineapple slices and cherries on top of the butter mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil and sugar. Add applesauce, egg, and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir just until combined. Spread carefully over pineapple in pan, making sure not to disturb the cherries as you spread the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top of the cake is golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before running a knife carefully around the edge.
- Place a large round plate on top of the pan, flip and allow the cake to fall out onto the plate before removing the pan.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)